AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, this is my first post. Before posting, I searched through about 4 pages of "refurb plasma" in this forum, and just didn't find much information.

The TV I am replacing is a 42" Samsung 720p Plasma (Model: HPS4253), and my reason for replacing it is that it only has a resolution of 1024x768 (re: Not a real HD resolution). I just bought the Vizio VP504F 50" Plasma TV from Tiger Direct... refurbished. Money is an issue, so that's why I went with it, because it's just a really great deal on such a good TV. Now I am starting to get a little weary of my choice to go with Refurbished. Did I make a big mistake or do I have a high percentage of being okay and getting a TV that looks brand new?

I didn't think burn-in was a big problem anymore... but reading around these forums makes it seem like people are overly paranoid about it; using burn-in DVDs and running certain settings for the first 100 hours, etc. Are all refurbs checked for burn-in, or is it possible there would be slight burn-in with a refurb??

So... do some of you, with way more knowledge than me, think I made a good choice or a bad choice? What would you have done if you were on a budget of

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I had a refurbished Vizio that had all kinds of problems. Vizio wouldn't help and ignored my calls and emails. Ended up throwing it in the trash. Never again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your post.

I just called TigerDirect because I am so skeptical about it. I told him I wanted to cancel the order and he immediately canceled it. Then I said the reason I wanted to is because it says NO returns are accepted at all. He then explained to me that Exchanges are accepted free of charge if the product is defective for the first 30 days, plus there is the 90 day Vizio warranty. I then asked what the likelihood of it being cosmetically damaged was and he said there is no way it will be physically damaged because their refurbished units are NOT defective units that were fixed. They call those "off-lease" and are sold as a separate stock. The refurbished units are most likely the case of Circuit City or someone ordering 5000 of them, but only selling 4000, and sending the rest back. TigerDirect then takes them ALL out of the box, tests them 5 times (according to the customer service rep), and has to resell them as Refurbished. In this case they are BRAND NEW and never used. There is always the chance you will get a returned TV from a customer, but still, it was returned within the initial 30 days policy. Again, if it was returned during the first 30 days due to a problem with the TV, then it is fixed and sold as an "off-lease".

This makes me feel 100% more comfortable about this purchase. Hopefully this information will help someone searching this forum in the future.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
If you really want a Vizio - then I would try one of the big discount warehouses who often have these at really low/low prices and very close to what you are paying. At least you have a much longer return policy. And some kind of warranty. (90 days is NOT a warranty - its a return policy at any of the big warehouse discount stores. Warranties on sets should be in years.

And no they do not call -refurbished panels brand new. There is no case I am aware of where an overun suddenly became 1000 "extra" panels and were sold as refurbs.

This salesman is taking you for a ride.

As to refurb panels in general - it woul depend on the brand, deal etc. A refurb vizio for what you were quoted is NOT a deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man you all make me feel bad

So if I cancel this one... What is a good deal right now? I know this probably isn't the place to ask about good deals... but since I'm already here, maybe one of you have something in mind?

·
Vendor
32,777 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/15536693

We have good luck with the refurbished 55" Hitachi and 71" LG's. We package in extended warranties though.

Thanks for your reply Cleveland Plasma. If I lived near you I would HIGHLY consider it an option. I think it was your site that I looked at that had $200 shipping... just out of the question, unfortunately. If it wasn't your site with the $200 shipping charge I saw, then I apologize!

I wish TigerDirect packaged extended warranties. Then I would feel 100% confident about this.

Can anyone comment on whether or not these TVs come with a menu option that shows how many hours/mins they have been turned on?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Refurbished, never! I'd take a low end new unit before I'd buy refurbished.

Quite frankly aside from size, you're not gonna see a resolution difference between either set.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
It's a crap shoot with refurb items....you can get a great deal on something that was returned simply because "it wasn't what they wanted" or it could have issues that may or may not be fixed by the factory. Personally I would never go refurb on something like a large tv...but I have had good look with things like digital cameras, Ipods etc..

·
Registered
104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemeno0pee /forum/post/15535095

What would you have done if you were on a budget of

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Apple refurbs are superb. You can get a 720p Panasonic 50" for around $900 or step up to 1080p and get the Panasonic 50pz80u for $1200 or the new Vizio for the same. That refurb Vizio they are trying to sell you is not a deal. Maybe at $600 but not at $900.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Refurb?

LCD, maybe.

Plasma -- definitely not. Why? I'm guessing that at least a few of those "refurbs" were used for a few hours and returned by people who saw images burned in -- Ahem, ahem, excuse me: "image retention" -- and got cold feet and sent them back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime /forum/post/15546219

Refurb?

LCD, maybe.

Plasma -- definitely not. Why? I'm guessing that at least a few of those "refurbs" were used for a few hours and returned by people who saw images burned in -- Ahem, ahem, excuse me: "image retention" -- and got cold feet and sent them back.

Still... if I receive mine and it has burn-in, I just contact TigerDirect and initiate a cost-free Exchange. So why should I worry about that? That's just the way I see it now... Sure it is possible, but they will take care of out-of-the-box defects.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got my TV from TD and the TV looks brand new. Dont know whats all the fuzz about refurbished. It is connected with my refurbished onkyo.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Keep in mind that if you buy an old plasma, you are buying an old model, with all of the problems that earlier models had: sensitivity to burn-in, poor contrast with washed out looking pictures, and false contouring. Also older models will have lower resolution, 1366 x 766 at best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonS /forum/post/15611946

Keep in mind that if you buy an old plasma, you are buying an old model, with all of the problems that earlier models had: sensitivity to burn-in, poor contrast with washed out looking pictures, and false contouring. Also older models will have lower resolution, 1366 x 766 at best.

Did you even read my original post? This TV was released in 2008, less than a year ago. Also, this TV is full HD, at 1080p. You're acting like I bought a used TV from craigslist or something.

For what it's worth, I received the TV on Monday and it is in 100% perfect condition. Looks BRAND NEW and there isn't a single dead/stuck pixel to be found. There is also no signs of IR or burn-in. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and all of you that bashed refurbished TVs are very very wrong.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
Nay

·
Banned
2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemeno0pee /forum/post/15612240

Did you even read my original post? This TV was released in 2008, less than a year ago. Also, this TV is full HD, at 1080p. You're acting like I bought a used TV from craigslist or something.

For what it's worth, I received the TV on Monday and it is in 100% perfect condition. Looks BRAND NEW and there isn't a single dead/stuck pixel to be found. There is also no signs of IR or burn-in. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and all of you that bashed refurbished TVs are very very wrong.

WOW its great that you got a good one but I think most people prefer buying a new one as opposed to buying refurbed over the internet. So for you to say everyone is wrong, well is wrong. your the one who came on here and asked the question so for you to bash those that gave their opinion is WRONG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Miami, and the TD close to me has always been reliable. The quality of service and reliability obviously depends on the seller. TD, in my opinion, does a good job with customer service and returns. I would take a gamble on the refurbs, and I'm glad your enjoying your TV

1 - 20 of 29 Posts