AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an opportunity to buy an refurbished S2 for $7k (only 90 day warranty from Marantz). Is this a deal or am I crazy?

thanks

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
That is about the same price as refurbished S1's were going for about 6 months ago.

So, it could be a legitimate deal but make sure the seller knows that you are looking for an S2. The part numbers are easy to confuse and often are.

Good luck to you, that is a very reasonable deal.

-Mr. Wigggles

Ps. put it through the ringer in those first 90 days looking for problems and don't mess with it after that.

Pps. You seem concerned which leads me to believe this is some sort of eBay/internet deal. As always, excercise caution.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jlw115
I came across an opportunity to buy an refurbished S2 for $7k (only 90 day warranty from Marantz). Is this a deal or am I crazy?

thanks
No, but IMO the seller is either crazy or a crook. Make sure you know which.

Marantz does not warranty projectors that are not purchased directly from an authorized dealer so make sure your source is an "authorized" and confirm this by calling Marantz directly.

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Also, make sure it's not a (gray market) Japanese unit that the menus are only in Japanese. The S2 doesn't have a choice of different languages in it's menu. It's English only or something else only.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I purchased the unit for $7k from Ubid. Confirmed from Marantz America that this was a factory refurbished S2 (to original specs) unit. It arrived yesterday from Marantz with all documentation and after initial review seems perfect (not a Japan unit as it has an enlish menu). I was also able to purchase a 2 yr warrenty (parts and labor) for $250 from Ubid.

Given the prices I have seen for S1, this seems like a great deal but time will tell.

·
Registered
225 Posts
An S2 for $7K? Refurbished or not, you're getting one of the BEST DLP pj's on the market. You will not be sorry. Purchasing the extra warranty was a good idea. I'm told you can double the warranty using a Gold Visa card.

Good luck and enjoy the S2 :)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Agreed. I saw this PJ last weekend and it was awesome. Too bad I don't want to spend the $12K list on a PJ!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.