Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post. It's kinda complicated situation :confused:

I had 2 bad samsung unit before I got the Sony KDFE55A20 from Best Buy.

And now I suppect the one I got was a open box or refurbished unit.

I notice the box came with the TV doesn't look orginal. I asked the guy and he said it's a different package from the ware house. Looked like bottom doesn't fit the top/cover of the box well. I didn't think about this because the guys opened the whole thing on the outside of my house. I had to get the box from the outside. Then put it back together and found out I can't even put them back together:O but the guys were gone already. Then I turn on the TV right away and see if anything wrong. The picture looked alright. So, I didn't bother to call Best Buy (BIG mistake :( )

Then, I notice something disturbing the other day. I noticed the screws in the back has been tempered. I can clearly see marks on some of them. One of the plastic one, looked like it was over tighten and striped a little. The others metal was black with silver mark round the place you put the screw driver. Clear mark that someone has unscrewed or screwed them.

I went to talk to Best Buy customer service. He said there is nothing they can do because there is nothing wrong with the TV. The only thing he kept saying was he was assure it was not a open box/refurbish item because it's stright from the warehouse. I can't even return it because the orginal purchase day was the day I first bought my FIRST "BAD" unit from Samsung. He even said the warrenty started from that date :eek: Doesn't make much sense to me.

The main thing I worry is if the unit gone bad between now and the end of warrenty, Sony may say I tempered with the TV and refused to repair it under warrenty. The guy in service said I shouldn't worry about something have not happened. It may not even happen. I don't think it's unreasonable when I paid near $3000 for a unit.

How can I find out if mine is refurbished or not?

What can I do to get a refund or exchange?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I would say there is no way it is a refurbished unit. This model is hardly in any store yet so it would be an increadible turnaround if they got one back fixed it and sent it back out to the stores......

Since the tv came in the box at one time someone was able to put it together so wonder about that. My Sony that just came was in the original sony box and had white tape on the sides so you could see that they hadn't been broken -- is the tape left on your box?

You could send Sony an email through their system -- you create a user-profile in their system so that would make it evidence that you noted that the screws looked like someone had messed with them. You would also get an email reply so that you establish this fact up front.

·
Registered
504 Posts
What about strapping on the box??? My E50A10 came in a corrugated bottom tray (4 sides about 6" high) with a four sided sleeve with taped top that simply slips over the TV and into the bottom tray. Came with 2 dark brown plastic straps holding together and light brown (I think; at work now) tape used to secure sleeve top.

Definately document all you can with Sony ASAP.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take a few pics when I get home tonight.

I couldn't tell if there was any of the straps or white tape because when they ring the bell, they took the TV out already. They unpacked the box on the outside of my house. That made it more suspectious.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sounds like someone at BB is giving you a run around. If you bought TV #1 and returned it under the 30 day policy, then bought TV #2, everything warranty and purchase wise for TV #2 starts on the day you bought TV #2, not when you bought TV #1. If you then took TV #2 back and bought TV #3 all warranty, etc. begin the day you bought TV #3, especially since TV #3 is from a different manufacturer! How can BB expect a Sony warranty to begin the day you bought a Samsung from them!

I agree with AkaStp...call them and tell them to pick up the Sony under the 30 day policy (since you paid for delivery I'm pretty sure they will pick it up for no charge...someone confirm that?). Then start from scratch...if BB wants to deal in that fashion with you, I'd shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lander215
Sounds like someone at BB is giving you a run around. If you bought TV #1 and returned it under the 30 day policy, then bought TV #2, everything warranty and purchase wise for TV #2 starts on the day you bought TV #2, not when you bought TV #1. If you then took TV #2 back and bought TV #3 all warranty, etc. begin the day you bought TV #3, especially since TV #3 is from a different manufacturer! How can BB expect a Sony warranty to begin the day you bought a Samsung from them!
I agree they are giving you the run around.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Demand a complete refund and Run!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I completely agree with you guys. I'm going to call the Best Buy head quarter within a day or 2 to find out what happen.

I don't feel comfortable buying anything expensive from Best Buy again.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've purchased three TV's from Circuit City since July 3 and returned two of them. Each time CC automatically refunded the warranty and the TV and showed on the receipt the purchase of the new TV and new warranty.

Kudo's to CC for doing that as a matter of policy. However, thumbs down to CC for what I found out they did to me with my last purchase. Took a Tweeter ad in to price match and, through my own dumb fault, forgot to check what the price was on the TV I was buying. Allow me to explain....I ordered the TV last Monday and it arrived Saturday. When I ordered it, the price was MSRP. Tweeters price was a couple hundred below that. Manager approved the price match...then offered me some more off the TV if I went with the 4-year warranty. Regretably, I bit (even after all I said I was going to do in the extended warranty thread!). I found out this morning that CC's current pricing is for 10% off all TV's....so the price I paid was actually the current sale price and not a "deal". So now I'm going to get a refund on the warranty and do what I originally planned to do and buy the extended policy through Sony.

Live and learn!

·
Registered
836 Posts
I'm surprised that these big stores can afford to return TV's just because someone doesn't like it in their home. I think this is a grea return policy but there are always a few people who ruin it for the rest by returing two or three sets. So eventually they will charge a restocking fee because of the abuses. In this case I totally agree that the person should not accepts a set that was tampered with. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viodea
Sorry for the long post. It's kinda complicated situation :confused:

I had 2 bad samsung unit before I got the Sony KDFE55A20 from Best Buy.

And now I suppect the one I got was a open box or refurbished unit.

I notice the box came with the TV doesn't look orginal. I asked the guy and he said it's a different package from the ware house. Looked like bottom doesn't fit the top/cover of the box well. I didn't think about this because the guys opened the whole thing on the outside of my house. I had to get the box from the outside. Then put it back together and found out I can't even put them back together:O but the guys were gone already. Then I turn on the TV right away and see if anything wrong. The picture looked alright. So, I didn't bother to call Best Buy (BIG mistake :( )

Then, I notice something disturbing the other day. I noticed the screws in the back has been tempered. I can clearly see marks on some of them. One of the plastic one, looked like it was over tighten and striped a little. The others metal was black with silver mark round the place you put the screw driver. Clear mark that someone has unscrewed or screwed them.

I went to talk to Best Buy customer service. He said there is nothing they can do because there is nothing wrong with the TV. The only thing he kept saying was he was assure it was not a open box/refurbish item because it's stright from the warehouse. I can't even return it because the orginal purchase day was the day I first bought my FIRST "BAD" unit from Samsung. He even said the warrenty started from that date :eek: Doesn't make much sense to me.

The main thing I worry is if the unit gone bad between now and the end of warrenty, Sony may say I tempered with the TV and refused to repair it under warrenty. The guy in service said I shouldn't worry about something have not happened. It may not even happen. I don't think it's unreasonable when I paid near $3000 for a unit.

How can I find out if mine is refurbished or not?

What can I do to get a refund or exchange?

thanks in advance.

Have you gone into the service menu and find out how many hours are on the bulb?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How do I found out how many hours are on the bulb? Well, the bad thing is I've had the TV for a while already. Can't really tell how many hours I have watched :( does it show the starting date or time?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know how to add image here.

So, I uploaded a few pics to the yahoo file server Click here

There are pics of the un-matched box, striped plastic screw, and tempered metal screw.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do you still have the box? If so the serial number should be on the box. Match it to the TV. If they don't match then I would raise HELL. Also, did you buy with a credit card? If so, then you won the fight. Let your CC company fight the battle for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hummm... I didn't look at the box for serial number. I'll check it tonight. The thing is the top part of the box looked original, so, I bet there will be a serial number. Only the bottom part doesn't match up and look unusual.

I bought it using credit card but the bad thing is I was using Best Buy CC due to 24 months interest free :(

I talked to a Sony rep. yesterday. He said there shouldn't be any problem with warrently work because he documented everything for me in their system. And there is nothing he can do to help me get a replacement. I have to deal with Best Buy directly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there anyone has KDFE55A20? I want to know if your box looks the same as mine. A pic of your box will be great.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hi,

Not many keep there box because of the size. I let the moving people take mine away. If the screws on the back of the set were tampered with then the set was opened and you need to write the head office at BB and if all fails have a lawyer write a letter on his letter head. It'll cost you 50.00. I wouldn't worry about the box it's the screws on the back of the set that bothers me the most. Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
as I stated eariler, the return period is complicated. I bought the first "Samsung" more than 30-days ago. Then, exchange for another samsung. Then this Sony. The return/exchange person said the 30-days return policy started at the Samsung. Even the warrenty start at the same date even at the time the TV I bought was Samsung :eek:

I have yet talk to Best Buy head office. I'll call them within a day or 2 when I'm less busy.

I had good experience with Best Buy until now. I know I exchanged 3 TV already. It seemed a lot to me too. But none of it is my fault. The first 2 TV I got was defective, verified by Best Buy technician. Then, this opened unit with suspecious package and delivery method.

I was told by Sony rep. it's unusual that delivery people unpacked the package outside of my house. This is the first time I've seen/heard unpacking out door.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The return policy doesn't jive with me. I would call another Best Buy and ask them. It seems to me that you would have 30 days with each set. And considering you went from a Samsung, to a Sony... Two completely different sets...

BB's response seems fishy.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just ran into a similar situation with CC. I bought my first TV on 7/3. Returned it on 7/30 and purchased a second TV. Returned it on 8/13 and purchased a third TV. Just went to CC today to get a refund on the warranty and they weren't going to do it, insisting that my 30 day period began on 7/3. I politely asked for a manager since I'd previously bought only a 2 year warranty and on Saturday had been hoodwinked into a 4 year warranty that I now didn't want. She got on the phone and minutes later politely refunded me the total $499 plus tax price for the warranty.

When I had brought the first TV back I had intentionally asked the salesman about this and he clearly stated that if I returned one TV and bought a different one, it was as if I was buying a new TV (duh...I was).

I'd go to BB, go straight to the store manager and discuss it with him. If he doesn't want to honor the 30 day policy and take your TV back due to the concerns you have, then I'd start up the ladder with regional.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.