AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking getting a low end receiver like the onkyo TX-DS575x or TXDS595 . I have seen a few new and "refurbished" ones on ebay and places. What is the deal with the refurbished items, I can see from the prices that people prefer new. If they have all the features and the manufacturer warranty, is there really a difference or is it simply for peace of mind?

Thanks.

-Nathan

·
Registered
96 Posts
Be careful with this. I would only get something from a "reputible source". I recently got a factory "refreshed" Adcom 5800 from audioadvisors.com (to drive my centers) and it was "as new" at half the original MSRP. So, it just depends on who is selling and what their rep is. Ebay might be a little scary! Audiogon.com might be a good alternative for a quality used piece. Every manufacturer is different so be careful. Good luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if is there a difference, but, I bought a refurbished onkyo TXDS595 from ubid for less then half the retail price, and to my suprise, when received the unit, it looked brand spanking new to me, I got a one yr warranty on top of that, new remote, manual and everything else that comes with a new unit. however there is a sticker that said is a refurbished unit, there had to be a problem right off the assembly line, got fixed, but could not be sold as new... I am definitely happy with this purchase!

·
Registered
159 Posts
As a general rule, I have always thought that buying 'factory refurbished', directly FROM the manufacturer if you can, is not a real danger. I can't think of a better organization to refurbish something than the people that built it to begin with. Buying directly from them would be the best, but if getting it from another source, I would make sure it was refurbished by the manufacturer, and not some electronics shop down the street. Obviously, make sure you are getting the manufacturer's warranty.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I was looking at a sealed - factory refurbished Onkyo with a manufaturer warranty. I will have to consider it depending on the price difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.