AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to turntables & just purchased a rega p3-24. The cartridge is a dynavector DV20XL. I had the store where i purchased it do the setup & they installed the rega spacer that can be set at either 2, 4, or i think 6 mm. They used the 4 mm setting.

When i place the dustcover on the turntable it wont go all the way into the hinge on the right side because it is resting on the tone arm. So theres a gap between the table & cover on the one side.

The P3-24 manual says to listen with the dustcover on but i dont think this is possible with the tone arm scraping the lid.

Is this because this cart should be set up with the 2mm spacer?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Does anybody have this setup?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Funkymonky123,

I took a quick look at the manual for that TT and it says you can leave the lid down but it does not state you have to. If you want to listen to it till you find your answer just leave it up.

Have you contacted the shop where you purchased this from to discuss this with them and find out why they set it up as they did?

I do not have this set up but maybe mcnarus will see this thread as he (I believe) seems pretty knowledgeable on TT stuff. Also, if you get no definite answer here, try over at www.vinylengine.com , since there are allot of folks over there that maybe able to help.

Do you have any type of RCM ready to go?

James

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding the record cleaning: I was thinking of building one of these when i get the time http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Right now i am just using an antistatic brush as my vinyl is all brand new.

I did buy some stylus cleaner but i'm not sure how often it would be required.

I'm not sure that the person doing the setup was as knowledgeable as they should have been with my turntable & cart; and i am a newbie with a very basic understanding of vinyl that i have just gained by browsing forums like this.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I use the same little type of RCM as the one you linked. The only difference is I just use an old TT that is not built into a nice little box like is shown on that page. You can pick up a little wet-dry mini shop vac for about 30 bucks at a True Value hardware store.

As for cleaning the records you will see many different options on the net. I followed the steps from the page shown below. I clean even brand new albums before playing them. It usually takes me a few hours to clean my records. I use the steps below.

Run anti static brush across the record

Put on Last Power Cleaner

Flip the record and do the same to the other side

Flip back over, add the record cleaning fluid, scrub and vacuum

Flip back over and do the same

Place in a dish rack to finish air drying for at least an hour

Put on Last Record Preservative

Put back in the dish rack to air dry another hour

I would recommend going over to the site I linked before and ask your question about the setup of your TT and see what the folks over there say.

Record cleaning:
http://www.indiespinzone.com/other/recordcare.html

James

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the cleaning tips.

The thing is i want the dust cover in place when i'm not listening to prevent it from getting dusty. Would it be a bad idea to place it on if it is resting on the tone arm? Will this throw anything out of whack?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I personally would not leave it resting on the arm. Others may have different opinions on this though.

I would strongly suggest calling the shop back and discussing this with them. I do not think what you just bought from them was very cheap so I would think they would be willing to see what's up with the setup.

·
Registered
647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/15585489

When i place the dustcover on the turntable it wont go all the way into the hinge on the right side because it is resting on the tone arm. So theres a gap between the table & cover on the one side.

I think that. it is/was SHODDY work and I would talk to them about it

NO way would I accept my dust cover resting on the tone arm

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will definitely be in touch with the shop where i purchased it.

It was mentioned on another forum that a tungsten counterweight of smaller diameter is sold by rega for the RB301 tone arm & that may fix the problem.....but i dont understand why the stock weight would be too tall for the lid. I'm sure others have a similar setup without this issue.

How is it determined what spacer height should be used for what cart? I dont even know if switching it to 2mm spacer would get the tone arm down far enough to accommodate the lid.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's not necessarily "shoddy" work, although I would hope your shop had enough experience to warn you that this might happen with the spacer installed.

The fact is the Rega is made to be a compact, budget and user friendly deck and they think that most buyers will use the Rega cartridges and everything will work great. I'm sure it is as a price point measure that the Rega has no VTA adjustment so when you install another cartridge, you may need some way to raise the arm. In this case the dustcover does not fit. If they've setup the cartridge properly, meaning it needs that VTA setting, then there is no fix. I got rid of my Rega almost 20 years ago so I'm not up on them, but several other manufacturers offer a tall dustcover option for purchase of those using taller than average arms. I suspect this might be the case with Rega so you might look into that. Your other options are switch to the Rega cartridge or one that doesn't need the raised VTA, or play with the cover off.

It can't be stressed enough that you do NOT want the cover resting on the arm!

Vinyl guys argue whether playing with or without the dustcover is better, and to my knowledge there has been no consensus. My suspicion is that if your table is located close to speakers, the cover may help but if the table is far enough to be isolated from the direct wave, the vibration of the cover may cause more harm than good.

[EDIT]

Oh, I also know some guys that have made custom covers themselves or had a local machine ship manufacture them. They might even be able to use the Rega hinges.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
has anyone put a michell technoweight on an RB301 tonearm? it looks like it would give alot more clearance between the weight & dustcover...but any info i've searched out on it refers only to the RB-300 tone arm.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/15585489

I'm new to turntables & just purchased a rega p3-24. The cartridge is a dynavector DV20XL. I had the store where i purchased it do the setup & they installed the rega spacer that can be set at either 2, 4, or i think 6 mm. They used the 4 mm setting.

The P3-24 manual says to listen with the dustcover on but i dont think this is possible with the tone arm scraping the lid.

Is this because this cart should be set up with the 2mm spacer?

I've had a few customers comment on this problem as well. Your only option is to replace the counterweight with the smaller Rega tungsten counterweight which may work, or as you said perhaps the Michel c'weight. I should offer a disclaimer since I manufacture counterweights but I do know for a fact that my counterweight will fix your problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It turns out they installed the wrong cartridge. I bought a dynavector DV20XL & they installed the high output version. So i'm trying to get that straightened out. So far just alot of blame & fingerpointing in others directions & the promise that they will order in the proper cartridge. The shop where i bought it is over an hours drive from my home so its not like i can just pop over there.

As well i mentioned the problem with the dustcover being unusable & they said that doesnt matter (well to me it does!). Argued with me that dustcover is irrelevant & most high end turntables dont even come with one...They told me thats what a microfiber cloth is for, if your turntable gets dusty.

I told them of the info i had gathered from the web regarding putting a new counterweight (the rega tungsten or michell tecnoweight) on it to accommodate the cover & they said it cant be done...or it could but the sound would suffer & it wouldnt be ideal. I informed them that it seems a counterweight upgrade is one of the most frequent tweaks on the regas. They said just because things are available & people do it doesnt make it the best thing to do.

Needless to say i'm not happy & very confused. My first turntable experience is developing into a big aggravation.

Dustcover is important to me because it will keep the table clean & safe from curious kiddies & minor accidents (the tt is in my family room). As well i wanted to see if it would improve my sound at all because i am locating the table fairly close to the speakers.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That sucks you could just return it and take your business elsewhere, audio should be fun not a pita

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I think I would give them one last chance to make things right for YOU. If you are not satisfied than return the items and find someone who will work with you to your satisfaction.

I just do not see why you would need to spend the extra money on a counter weight on a new setup or have to leave the cover off. That makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Well that could possibly be a bummer, hopefully if they want to continue to have your business they will make things right.

From what I can find on that cart the same body is used for the high or low output versions so unless they remove the spacer or use the smaller one it seems you will be in the same situation with the cover.

Keep us posted on how things turn out.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they told me to bring back the table (just the table-the platter is not required), so that they can change the cartridge. is the platter required for proper setup?

·
Registered
647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymunky123 /forum/post/15621798

they told me to bring back the table (just the table-the platter is not required), so that they can change the cartridge. is the platter required for proper setup?

A cart can not be set up proper without the platter,if you paid with a CC I would drop off the whole package and refute the charge,they dont sound as if they care about making things right

GOOD Luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts