AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article in full is no longer available unless purchased but it said the transition will start to take place next year.

Regal Is Ready for Its Digital Close-Up; The theater chain plans to upgrade projectors and add high-speed networking equipment.

The Los Angeles Times; Los Angeles, Calif.; Dec 4, 2002; P.J. Huffstutter;

Centennial, Colo.-based Regal -- which owns United Artists Theatre Co. and Edwards Theatres Inc. -- said it would spend an initial $70 million on the effort. Regal will begin by showing short digital movies and advertisements. As the company does further upgrades, it will be able to show full-length digital movies.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Not to put a negative slant on it so early, but I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing pirate copies of the actual movie transfer? Wonder how much disk space one of those puppies takes up anyways?

·
Registered
225 Posts
This from a theater chain that just got out of bankruptcy?

...from a theater chain that's spent untold millions on sterile gigaplexes

that have made the movie-going experience completely devoid of magic

(but, to be fair, all theater chains are pretty much the same these days -

that's why I either stay at home or search out single screen showplaces

like The Senator in Baltimore.)

...from a theater chain that whines about how they HAVE to show commercials before the movie because running movie theaters is so

expensive.

Now they're spending $70 million on a technology that will undoubtedly

have to be upgraded in a few years, a technology that won't look much

better than what I have in my home (and in my home I don't have the

commercials, and I can drink beer!)

I say -- bring back 70mm and curtains in front of the screen, and real

projectionists, not high-priced video.

Of course, that's just my opinion...

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Quote:
Regal Is Ready for Its Digital Close-Up; [/b]
Alan...

Are you familiar with the calibration standards and tests they would use to install and tweak DLP for a cinema application?

I am wondering if THX has a digital cinema program and what criteria they layout?

RJ

·
Registered
855 Posts
steve_fye -

From TI's Technical specs page

DATA STORAGE AND PLAYBACK

The picture information is normally compressed and stored using a QuBit compression system produced by QuVis of Topeka, KS. The QuBit uses proprietary wavelet compression technology with a user selectable SNR. The compressed data is stored on four computer HD drives with a total capacity of 72 Gbytes. Other playback servers based on MPEG2 compression have also been used for a limited number of digital releases.

AUDIO

The audio information is normally stored as six channel, 24-bit uncompressed PCM data for the feature, and 16-bit uncompressed PCM data for the trailers, on the QuBit system along with the picture information.

Looks like less than 72G for the whole thing (video and audio) BUT it wouldn't be playable since you don't have the QBit wavelet based codecs.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Huckster
Looks like less than 72G for the whole thing (video and audio) BUT it wouldn't be playable since you don't have the QBit wavelet based codecs.
Great info. Thanks!

72G is not insurmountable by any means, but it will sure tax the networking resources for those who wish to distribute over a network. I wonder how long it will take theaters to download the latest 3 hour epic... they'll definitely need some very good downloading program that has a "resume download" for all those hiccups that are sure to happen via the internet. That is, assuming they will be using the internet.

If they can break 128-bit encryption, I'm sure they'll be able to figure out how to hack this codec.

For the record, I have neither the technical know-how nor the resources nor the desire to dabble in computer piracy of this or any magnitude. I for one do not mind paying $7.50 to see a decent movie in a decent theater.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RJM321
Alan...

Are you familiar with the calibration standards and tests they would use to install and tweak DLP for a cinema application?

I am wondering if THX has a digital cinema program and what criteria they layout?

RJ

Yes, THX does have a Digital Cinema Certification Program. They had certified several digital cinema products as of last May (in time for the theatrical release of EPISODE II, 'natch).

Eric

·
Registered
221 Posts
FYI - From the Regal Entertainment Group investor relations web page:

Creating a Digital Network to Generate Ancillary Revenues - We intend to generate additional revenue growth by investing in the equipment necessary to create the largest digital video and communications network among domestic exhibitors. We intend to use the digital network to generate additional revenue from on-screen and in-lobby advertising and corporate communication services.

Their stock registration statement has a bit more info, although largely the same:

Creating a Digital Network to Generate Ancillary Revenues. We intend to generate additional revenue growth by investing in the equipment necessary to create the largest digital video and communications network among domestic theater operators for the provision of on screen and in-lobby advertising. We believe the capabilities and reach of the digital network will enhance our advertising and promotions business by providing a more efficient purchasing process for advertisers and streamlining the delivery of advertising, allowing for more targeted marketing and providing improved projection and sound capabilities. The digital network will also enable us to leverage our assets more efficiently during non-peak periods from the rental of auditoriums on a single site and networked basis for seminars, business conferencing, distance learning and other business meetings.

Marcel

·
Registered
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcel J. Dumeny
FYI - From the Regal Entertainment Group investor relations web page:

Creating a Digital Network to Generate Ancillary Revenues - We intend to generate additional revenue growth by investing in the equipment necessary to create the largest digital video and communications network among domestic exhibitors. We intend to use the digital network to generate additional revenue from on-screen and in-lobby advertising and corporate communication services.
Oh great. As if the video screens spewing out endless tiresome commercials in airports, Wal-Marts, BlockBusters, McDonalds, ad nauseum weren't enough, now I get to pay $7.50 To go to a place where I'm innundated by more of them while waiting in the ticket line only to find out that I'll get even MORE of them waiting for my movie in the theater.

I guess the only logical next step will be to surgically implant tiny LCD monitors in our eyeballs so that we can get the latest advertisements 24/7.

This is ludicrous.

All the more reason to invest more money in my HT.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Quote:
Regal Is Ready for Its Digital Close-Up; The theater chain plans to upgrade projectors [/b]

They are just jealous of what we have at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.