AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
There are several BluRay players that are advertised "Region-Free", Pioneer, Panasonic, JVC and others but you need to read between the lines. These players have been modified to play region free. Some are only region-free for SD DVD and only play region "A" for BluRay. Others are region-free for both SD and BluRay but do not include a "Video Converter" for converting SD PAL to NTSC or SD NTSC to PAL. The world wide standard for BluRay is 1080P/24 there is no NTSC or PAL and thus a video converter is not needed.

The only player that I know that is region-free for SD and BluRay and includes a video converter for SD PAL conversion is the Momitsu BDP-899. I own a Momitsu and can confirm the player is region-free. There players can be purchased at HKFlix.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/16689830

With the new region free firmware and mod kit, the Oppo wins the prize as the best region

free player.

What's the difference in using a mod kit? Wouldn't the FW accomplish the same thing?

ss9001

·
Registered
220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/16690007

What's the difference in using a mod kit? Wouldn't the FW accomplish the same thing?

ss9001

You could say the mod kit was more permanent plus,hopefully should hold up without issue regarding future updates.

But yes they accomplish the same thing.

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
The problem with firmware is that someone must come up with a new hack each time Oppo updates the firmware. The mod kit is permanent. One could use the firmware unit there is a problem and than get a mod kit. The big thing for me is the that the firmware hack provides the ability to play SD disks from all regions. The hack for Blu-Ray is not that big of a deal for me since I do not own and Blu-Ray disks from other regions.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley /forum/post/16691154

...The big thing for me is the that the firmware hack provides the ability to play SD disks from all regions. The hack for Blu-Ray is not that big of a deal for me since I do not own and Blu-Ray disks from other regions.

I agree with you on this

I don't own an 83 yet, but would like to know where one can get the mod kit. Any link?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. I am looking to purchase a region-free Blu-ray player on a bit of a budget and was wondering if anyone could help me find one with the specific features I am looking for.

I would like a player capable of...

-Playback of any Blu-ray disc from any region

-Playback/conversion of 1080i50 content to a format that my US TV (LG 55LW5600) can recognize

-Playback of 3D Blu-ray content

-Playback of any DVD from any region

-PAL to NTSC conversion for DVDs

-DVD upscaling

In short, I am looking for a player that can play any and every disc without worry. Are there any further specifications that I am forgetting to include?

Does anyone have any ideas for a Blu-ray player that can do all of these things? Ideally, I would like to avoid spending over $250.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
I'm somewhat frustrated that certain obscure videos are not available in the USA in NTSC format.

I've got two very good, and moderately expensive, though not totally up-to-date players.

Harman Kardon DVD-48 ($450 retail); this is now my CD only player.

Harman Kardon BDP-1 BluRay ($500 retail); this is my movie player.

By the way, I bought these NEW off Ebay. for about 1/3rd the suggested retail price, so I got them cheap, but I wouldn't want to downgrade just to get the region free player.

Having a good players makes me reluctant to upgrade to new Region Free Players because I'm afraid I can't get a player the equal of what I have.

My budget limit is around $200 max, though again reluctant to spend anything.

Does any one know of a really good high quality Region Free PAL-NTSC BluRay Player.

If found two but know nothing about their reliability or performance -

http://www.220-electronics.com/toshiba-bdx1200-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html?origin=product-search&kwd=&source=GoogleProductsPLA&gclid=CMir-_qzyrQCFYpFMgod6goAlg

The Toshiba is cheap enough but it doesn't seem to have an Internet connection. That's OK because I've got a ROKU 2 XS box, but ROKU doesn't include YouTube.

Next an LG box with Internet including YouTube for under $200 -

http://www.220-electronics.com/lg-bd-640-region-free-blu-ray-dvd-player.html

I'm not sure about LG, never really been a brand I favored.

So, does anyone here have any experience with Region Free PAL/NTSC BluRay Players? I'm open to suggestions.

I hope the above links work, if not, here are models -

$_99 = Toshiba BDX1200

$195 = LG BD-640

The LG BD-630 includes Internet with Netflix and YouTube, but not Wireless, and is priced at $175.

I would like to have streaming directly to my TV from YouTube, but while nice, that is not a deal breaker.

I would like to not spend a lot of money because it is only for an obscure video here and there that I can't get in any other format besides PAL.

I need a reliable box, because I can't afford to keep buying new players. I can't even really afford to by this one when I already have two above average players. But, I want to be able to play PAL videos primarily from Europe and Scandinavia, though I wouldn't rule out something on rare occasion from Asia or Australia.

So, any suggestions for good reliable Region Free PAL/NTSC BluRay Players?

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
873 Posts
I had the same dilemma and found a bluray region A B C & dvd 1-6 or 0 bluray player called an Orei BDP-M2-the price varies but I got mine for about $130 including s&h. I've had mine for 3 months with zero problems and the build quality is about the same as any of my other bluray players such as my Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if the Region Free Player (Orei BDP-M2) has PAL To NTSC conversion built in?

Also, can I assume you are in the USA?

To other who might find this thread, do you know anything about the Reliability of LG-brand products?

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi

I`m also searching for a Region Free Blu ray Player. I am in Canada.

I see that the OREI BDP-M2 does have a built in converter and i have to agree with your''bluewizard " comment about LG and the lack of obscure videos available in the US or Canada.

The reason behind my efforts are that I have just seen the first series of Borgen, The Bridge and The Killing S3 and found that some of these series are only available in Europe. I certainly don't want to wait until a US studio remakes them.

2D/3D Playback

PAL and NTSC Compatible with built-in converter

USB Input

Plays AVI, MP3, MPEG-4, JPG Files from a USB flash drive

Full HD 1080p/24 fps support

Blu Ray Profile 2.0

LAN connection

100-240V Worldwide Voltage

I think I'm going to order this player from Amazon US $159.00 plus

·
Registered
10,262 Posts
The problem with Amazon US, they don't ship electnics to Canada.

I'm also looking for a 2d/3d blu-ray player that can play zone B. I son't care about onversion and/or SD DVD because I just don't watch them anymore.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Amazon Canada have the Orei for $169.99 now with free shipping for Canadians - http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-BDP-M2-Multi-Region-Player/dp/B00AXEBU0W

Just to confirm, aside from a buggy remote control and the occasional refusal to power cycle back up without shutting off the power (which has stopped now that it's in my shut down bank on the Panamax, cycles every night) the player has been awesome.

Will play Region B locked 1080i50 discs converting to 1080i60 (default setting, you can override this in the set-up area) - has no problem playing my F1 2011 and 2012 Season Review Blu-ray discs which are both REGION B locked and 1080i50.

WIll play PAL > NTSC or vice-versa depending on settings.

Will play 3D Blu-ray discs.

You have to manually change the Blu-ray region coding (if it's set to B you're find obviously will ALL REGION CODED USA discs) but it's an absolute doddle.

1) Press HOME

2) Press 8 5 2 0

3) Highlight Blu-ray

4) Press 1 for A, 2 for B or 3 for C

5) Press HOME to exit

DVD is set to "0" by default which plays anything.

·
Registered
709 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue  /t/1449515/region-free-blu-ray-player-discussion#post_23095066

Amazon Canada have the Orei for $169.99 now with free shipping for Canadians - http://www.amazon.ca/Orei-BDP-M2-Multi-Region-Player/dp/B00AXEBU0W

Just to confirm, aside from a buggy remote control and the occasional refusal to power cycle back up without shutting off the power (which has stopped now that it's in my shut down bank on the Panamax, cycles every night) the player has been awesome.

Will play Region B locked 1080i50 discs converting to 1080i60 (default setting, you can override this in the set-up area) - has no problem playing my F1 2011 and 2012 Season Review Blu-ray discs which are both REGION B locked and 1080i50.

WIll play PAL > NTSC or vice-versa depending on settings.

Will play 3D Blu-ray discs.

You have to manually change the Blu-ray region coding (if it's set to B you're find obviously will ALL REGION CODED USA discs) but it's an absolute doddle.

1) Press HOME

2) Press 8 5 2 0

3) Highlight Blu-ray

4) Press 1 for A, 2 for B or 3 for C

5) Press HOME to exit

DVD is set to "0" by default which plays anything.
That procedure looks suspiciously close to the one that is employed for the now discontinued Seiki blu ray player sold by Walmart. I am wondering if that resurfaced as Orei at a higher price!

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Not surprising, same OEM platform, and possibly made in the same factory.

What's happened to the new Seiki with 3D?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=172187

Or this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players/seiki-sr212s/4505-9991_7-35543135.html

BTW for a laugh read the garrulous review of the Seiki 660, the review just kept on and on about the faulty unit:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1WJ46HK15YZE8/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005QP1S3M&nodeID=172282&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful

·
Registered
6 Posts
How is the video quality of the Orei? I'm debating about getting this or splurging on an Oppo modified for region free.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm in the us and the video quality of Orei is very good-upscaled dvds look as good as those played on my Oppo DV-983H, blurays look as good as any of my other 5 bluray players. The only slightly odd thing I've noticed about the Orei is that the optical drive is some what noiser than most other players-but other than that-perfect.

1 - 20 of 280 Posts