AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well it's one of the least expensive ones that is totally region free. I got my until and it plays excellent. I have noticed that the drive is a bit louder than others, but I don't notice it unless I'm right next to it.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Just for laughs and giggles I got a Seiki SR212S from Sears today and it looks and acts like a cutdown Orei-no display or internet connectivity. But the A B C and 1-6 region capability are exactly the same as the Orei+it's available as Sears or Kmart.

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel dickman  /t/1449515/region-free-blu-ray-player-discussion#post_23348267

Could you describe how you go about switching the Seiki player from one blu ray region to another? Do you need to press remote control buttons in a certain sequence? Please share the details.

Thanks in advance,

Joel Dickman

See the above posted procedure.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I originally posted this in the "OFFICIAL 'HELP ME CHOOSE A PLAYER' THREAD: Can't decide? Start HERE" thread but got no real suggestions/recommendations ...

I am looking for a region-free BR and DVD player. I found the following models on amazon - can anyone recommend one over another, or a different make/model altogether?

Orei BDP-M2 $140

Toshiba Bdx1250rf $140

Sharp BD-AMS20 $260

Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD $340

Please note: This is for work purposes so the priorities are:

- dependable playback of any region BR & DVD, including those in PAL format

- fair to good picture quality

- 3D a bonus but not needed

- good build quality (will only be used 2 or 4 days every six months, but need it to work when I fire it up!)

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Very unlikely anyone has personal experience of ALL the players you listed.

- dependable playback of any region BR & DVD, including those in PAL format

No player high or low end guarantees playback of every single disc (notwithstanding region restrictions) because of ever evolving authoring, BD-J and encryption keys. My Seiki 660 (same hack as above) does work for region B but I've only needed to play a few.

"PAL" (50i) is not a technical problem if the player supports it, irrespective of region restrictions.

Nobody routinely tests all the different regions' playback here. If you do require ABC and 0-6 playback only the people selling hardware region mods can offer any guarantee.

- fair to good picture quality

They should all do that. The biggest difference is in DVDs. The Pioneer review can be found online.

- 3D a bonus but not needed

The Pioneer is 3D

- good build quality (will only be used 2 or 4 days every six months, but need it to work when I fire it up!)

Build quality isn't directly related to reliability but of the 4 the Pioneer is the best build in relative terms. It's not built like the previous year's Elites (it is actually only a mid-model in previous years). Still it is the best bet of the lot but it needs firmware hack for other regions (success is unproven on region A units).

Very few people buy the Tosh or Sharp here. People tend to buy sub-$100 Orei/Seiki etc for non-region B as a last resort, not as their regular player used daily: these are rarely if ever as full featured as the mainstream brands and supported with firmware updates.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1449515/region-free-blu-ray-player-discussion#post_23357346

Very unlikely anyone has personal experience of ALL the players you listed ...
Figured that - just hoping for recommendation re one or two of the players ... from someone who actually has one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1449515/region-free-blu-ray-player-discussion#post_23357346

... the Pioneer is the best build in relative terms ... but it needs firmware hack for other regions (success is unproven on region A units).
Where would I find the hack? (I'm Mac only so a PC based hack wouldn't work.)
Quote:

... Very few people buy the Tosh or Sharp here. People tend to buy sub-$100 Orei/Seiki etc for non-region B as a last resort, not as their regular player used daily: these are rarely if ever as full featured as the mainstream brands and supported with firmware updates.
This wouldn't be my regular player, just used occasionally for work purposes.

Maybe the Orei BDP-M2 fits my needs the best. Any known issues? Know they're region free, will they play a PAL disc on my NTSC TV?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
The Pioneer firmware hacks are discussed in the Pioneer threads.

To play PAL on NTSC TV depends on whether the TV supports 50Hz video. If not the player must be able to frame convert. I don't have the Orei but I have the Seiki 660 (same hack as the Orei) which can convert. Last year's Pioneer BDP-140 (which I have too) can also frame convert and can be hacked also (I've not done it). Basically last year's and this year's Pioneer BDPs can be hacked and since there are more users you would have better feedback.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
^^^^ Thanks!

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I want to get a region free BD player so that I can enjoy some disc from Amazon.uk. I don't have any knowledge of where to start besides having a player modded. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
The AVS Multi-region Blu-ray Player Thread

If an AVS multi-region Blu-ray player thread already exists, please delete this one and shoot me a link to the existing thread. Assuming it doesn't, I would like to begin with some multi-region issues I'm having.

I own a few players with which when you press SETUP followed by 8520, a factory menu appears. It shows the BD and DVD region codes. Using the arrow keys, I can reset the password and erase the internal BD data storage. I would like to know how to determine whether you want to change the BD or DVD region. I would also like to know how you change the BD or DVD region from the current region to a region of my choice. How is this done with Seiki and Toshiba players? I have a Yamaha BD-A1010 and an Envizen Digital/Azend Group, Corp./Maxmade BDP-M1061. Maybe there's something I'm forgetting or not doing exactly right. At least if you own one of the Seikis or Toshibas, you'd probibly know what I'm talking about and might be able to tell me what I'm forgetting or what hasn't been explained as precisely elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Since the above link comes back to this thread, I assume this is the thread for multiregion bluray. If not please move or delete to appropriate thread.

Im in New Zealand, BD regionB, 240v 50hz. Looking for capacity to play regionA blurays. Already own 2 Panasonic 3D bluray players.

I stumbled across the Panansonic DMP-BDT330GA on B&H.
"Watch Blu-ray movies or stream Internet multimedia content with the Panasonic DMP-BDT330GA Smart 3D Multi-Region/Multi-System Blu-ray Disc Player. This multi-region/multi-system DVD player will play any region Blu-ray or DVD on any TV, and it works on anything from 110 to 240 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hz."
Google isn't bringing up much / anything on it. Anyone had a play with one?

Another option is to buy a normal US Bluray player and have a standalone regionA player on top of my existing set up.

Any thoughts. thanks

·
Banned
21 Posts
Since the above link comes back to this thread, I assume this is the thread for multiregion bluray. If not please move or delete to appropriate thread.

Im in New Zealand, BD regionB, 240v 50hz. Looking for capacity to play regionA blurays. Already own 2 Panasonic 3D bluray players.

I stumbled across the Panansonic DMP-BDT330GA on B&H.
"Watch Blu-ray movies or stream Internet multimedia content with the Panasonic DMP-BDT330GA Smart 3D Multi-Region/Multi-System Blu-ray Disc Player. This multi-region/multi-system DVD player will play any region Blu-ray or DVD on any TV, and it works on anything from 110 to 240 volts AC, 50 or 60 Hz."
Google isn't bringing up much / anything on it. Anyone had a play with one?

Another option is to buy a normal US Bluray player and have a standalone regionA player on top of my existing set up.

Any thoughts. thanks
If you own a supported Panasonic Blu-ray player, you can install enhanced firmware to get region free capability for DVD and Blu-ray together with UOP/PUO deactivation and Cinavia free operation.

Panasonic Blu-ray Player Multi Region All Zone Code Free Firmware Upgrade CD

Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu-ray Player Firmware Upgrade

There's also a secial website for Panasonic enhanced firmware upgrades but the moderator here doesn't want links to the site being posted. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you own a supported Panasonic Blu-ray player, you can install enhanced firmware to get region free capability for DVD and Blu-ray together with UOP/PUO deactivation and Cinavia free operation.

Panasonic Blu-ray Player Multi Region All Zone Code Free Firmware Upgrade CD

Panasonic All Zone Multi Region Code Free Blu-ray Player Firmware Upgrade

There's also a secial website for Panasonic enhanced firmware upgrades but the moderator here doesn't want links to the site being posted. Google is your friend.
Thanks for your help.
I found that site in my googling: will revisit

·
Registered
14 Posts
Region-free DVD/Blu-ray player with an optical audio output?

Hi there,

I live in Japan but I'm originally from France and own a fairly large number of US (region 1) DVDs. Needless to say this region thingee is quite a headache. I heard that Japan and the US belong to the same region as far as Blu-ray is concerned, but not DVD.

I own a nuforce DDA-100 digital amp which I intend to use. Unfortunately it doesn't have an HDMI input so I have to use the optical one (Toslink coaxial optical).

I haven't bought a DVD player in ages but back then I had just picked a regular DVD player and then just had to enter a code using the remote to make it region-free. Does it work the same with blu-ray players?

Also since the region codes are different for DVDs and Blu-rays, does it mean that if I buy a blu-ray player here in Japan I will be able to play Japanese and European DVDs (region 2) but not US DVDs and Japanese and American Blu-rays (Region A) but not European ones?

Sounds completely moronic to me. Any way to get around that? I can live without being able to play European blu-rays but not without being able to play US DVDs.

Thanks a lot for reading this.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Hi there,

I live in Japan but I'm originally from France and own a fairly large number of US (region 1) DVDs. Needless to say this region thingee is quite a headache. I heard that Japan and the US belong to the same region as far as Blu-ray is concerned, but not DVD.

I own a nuforce DDA-100 digital amp which I intend to use. Unfortunately it doesn't have an HDMI input so I have to use the optical one (Toslink coaxial optical).

I haven't bought a DVD player in ages but back then I had just picked a regular DVD player and then just had to enter a code using the remote to make it region-free. Does it work the same with blu-ray players?

Also since the region codes are different for DVDs and Blu-rays, does it mean that if I buy a blu-ray player here in Japan I will be able to play Japanese and European DVDs (region 2) but not US DVDs and Japanese and American Blu-rays (Region A) but not European ones?

Sounds completely moronic to me. Any way to get around that? I can live without being able to play European blu-rays but not without being able to play US DVDs.

Thanks a lot for reading this.
Many Blu-Ray players can be made region-free for DVD playing with a "secret" code or via readily obtainable software (often free). Almost all (maybe even all) players require a hardware modification to be region-free for Blu-Ray playing. All Blu-Ray players that are region-free for BR discs are also region-free for DVD in my experience. There are plenty of region-free Blu-Ray players available. Just do a search for region-free Blu-Ray player. I assume many of these will be available in Japan.

One disadvantage you will have with only using Toslink is that you will not be able to take advantage of the lossless audio on Blu-Ray discs. Only the lossy core audio sound can be sent through Toslink to your amp. Also be aware that some newer Blu-Ray players are eliminating some audio and video connector types so there may be some out there that don't have Toslink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many Blu-Ray players can be made region-free for DVD playing with a "secret" code or via readily obtainable software (often free). Almost all (maybe even all) players require a hardware modification to be region-free for Blu-Ray playing. All Blu-Ray players that are region-free for BR discs are also region-free for DVD in my experience. There are plenty of region-free Blu-Ray players available. Just do a search for region-free Blu-Ray player. I assume many of these will be available in Japan.

One disadvantage you will have with only using Toslink is that you will not be able to take advantage of the lossless audio on Blu-Ray discs. Only the lossy core audio sound can be sent through Toslink to your amp. Also be aware that some newer Blu-Ray players are eliminating some audio and video connector types so there may be some out there that don't have Toslink.
Thanks for the info. The problem I have when I search google is A. I don't know how reliable it is, B. I don't know which of the players that show up have a toslink output and C. I don't know if they're not region free when sold in the US and then coded upon importation here. The seller in the shop I went to today told me it was impossible to buy region-free players in Japan. I don't know whether he's required to say that or if it's actually true.

I can live with a single region blu-ray player but would like to be able to play US DVDs.

Also I don't quite understand the stuff about NTSC/Pal and such. Does it only apply to DVDs or to Bluray as well? I have some region 2 DVDs in PAL, will they play on Japanese players (NTSC, also region 2)?

·
Super Moderator
16,397 Posts
21 - 40 of 274 Posts