AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Also I don't quite understand the stuff about NTSC/Pal and such. Does it only apply to DVDs or to Bluray as well? I have some region 2 DVDs in PAL, will they play on Japanese players (NTSC, also region 2)?
Blu-Ray is Blu-Ray. There are no PAL vs. NTSC Blu-Ray discs. Other than region coding, Blu-Rays use universal formats that can work with any HDTV.

One thing you may have to consider in acquiring a region-free player. You will need to be sure that it can convert PAL to NTSC so it will work with your local NTSC (for DVD purposes) TV. Some TVs are multi-standard but many are not. Not all region-free DVD players can do PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) conversion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Blu-Ray is Blu-Ray. There are no PAL vs. NTSC Blu-Ray discs. Other than region coding, Blu-Rays use universal formats that can work with any HDTV.

One thing you may have to consider in acquiring a region-free player. You will need to be sure that it can convert PAL to NTSC so it will work with your local NTSC (for DVD purposes) TV. Some TVs are multi-standard but many are not. Not all region-free DVD players can do PAL to NTSC (or vice versa) conversion.
I'm not using a TV but a projector. Does it make a difference?

When I see "region-free blu-ray player" I never really know whether "region free" extends to DVDs as well.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
While most BDs are 1080p/24, there are a number of 1080i/50 BDs. These are not playable on most US players. The region free iCom will handle PAL/NTSC and has a 110/220 power supply. Depending on the mod used, the Panasonic should be able to handle both also.

S~

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm not using a TV but a projector. Does it make a difference?
A projector should be able to handle things better than most TVs so you might not need PAL to NTSC conversion. Check the manuals for your projector and see if anything is specified about what video formats it can handle.

I have never heard of a region-free Blu-Ray player that wasn't also region-free for DVD. This doesn't mean that one doesn't exist but it is unlikely that any region-free Blu-Ray player won't also be region-free for DVD.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Yep. Any region free BD player I've seen is also region free for DVDs. I have seen several that are region free for DVD but not BD. Projectors can usually handle 25/50. All 3 of mine do. None of my TVs do.

S~

·
Registered
1,789 Posts

So if I purchase software to just allow me to play region B blurays on my Panny region A player I don't need to be concerned about the PAL/NTSC thing as that only applies to DVD???
Thanks!

Ed

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
NTSC and PAL are only applicable to standard definition video (i.e., non-HD broadcast and DVD). I'm not sure you'll find a software solution to region-free Blu-Ray playing. All the players I know about that play Blu-Rays out-of-region have a hardware modification (either an internally installed chip or one installed externally via USB). It is possible there are players that only require software or firmware mods to be made region-free but I am not familiar with any.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
NTSC and PAL are only applicable to standard definition video (i.e., non-HD broadcast and DVD). I'm not sure you'll find a software solution to region-free Blu-Ray playing. All the players I know about that play Blu-Rays out-of-region have a hardware modification (either an internally installed chip or one installed externally via USB). It is possible there are players that only require software or firmware mods to be made region-free but I am not familiar with any.

Thanks for the explanation-appreciate it!

This is what I was referring to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic...rade-CD-/300990034790?clk_rvr_id=680402088900 .

Maybe I should have said FIRMware......

Ed

·
Registered
4,956 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Not a bad idea to have a region free player with Disney not selling 3D titles stateside right now.

S~

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Disney is usually region free I thought - I recently bought the UK Frozen in 3D as well as Need For Speed and both worked in my region A player? City of Ember with Bill Murray is the one that first got me into trouble as well as Caprica on Blu (boy was that not worth it!). Since I use my Sony 590 to stream both Amazon and Netflix with both apps supporting 5.1 Sound, I couldn't just upgrade to an OPPO since it doesn't support both. The bandaid was the cheap, and surprising reliable ICOM for 130 that I literally keep in a drawer and just plug it in for the handful of titles I need it for.

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
Not always. Ratatouille and Need for Speed are both Region B for BD and 2 for DVD.

S~

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I own Need for Speed in 3D and its region A with the 7.1 track. The other regions did get a release, but with an inferior sound mix. Ratatouille, that's a good find! Didn't realize that one already came out in 3D - strange! I wonder if this will make the rumor of the incredibles being in 3D true as well?

·
Super Moderator
16,149 Posts
UK Need for Speed UK does have the 5.1 audio track. Maleficent 3D is also Region Locked. Winter Soldier is Region Free.

S~

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks I'll get one of those then. I'm surprised that "region free" is a feature openly advertised on a legitimate site such as amazon. Kinda defeats the whole purpose of that region thing.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Region coding has been a joke almost since the beginning and was cracked almost immediately. The interesting thing is that with Blu-Ray most of the big studios abandoned it. The most frequent region coders these days are the smaller companies like Arrow, Criterion, Kino Lorber, Twilight Time, Studiocanal, Olive Films and others of that ilk. With only a few exceptions the big studios have moved away or are in the process of moving away from region-coding their Blu-Rays. DVDs still tend to be region coded, though.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have 2 Panny BRPs- a 210 & a 220 that I'm able to play region B Blurays on by hitting Top Menu, Stop, then "1". It'll then play them just fine EXCEPT they won't play 3D Bluray in 3D, only 2D. Just wondering if anyone has had any success play Region B discs in 3D on their Panny players by following this or any other "hack"

Thanks!

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
i hate to post again but why hasn't anyone given me a response.

i hate to post again but why hasn't anyone given me a response.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
There's always the possibility that no one has an answer for you and that's why there is no response.

41 - 60 of 268 Posts