Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Region Free Oppo DV-981HD Custom Pre-Modified with SDI & IEC Power mods

Introducing the dazzling new OPPO DV-981HD upconverting DVD player for the ultimate home theater experience. Professionally pre-modified to take it to the next level of audio and visual HT performance.

This brand new Oppo DV-981HD package comes complete and custom pre-modified with the following additions:

-High-End SDI digital video mod, this provides a amazing increase in PQ when fed to outboard scalers, easily surpassing the HDMI output and is HDCP free for those who wish to upconvert with Analog video systems

-Custom replacement IEC power inlet mod for the best power connections available, use the free included high-end power cable(see below) or use your own cable

-Includes Free high-end 6 Foot 14/3 IEC Power cable

-Includes Free Handmade 6 Foot Belden 1694a/Canare true 75-ohm BNC/BNC SDI video cable for the guaranteed best error-free transmission of SDI video signals

The Oppo DV-981HD comes standard with these amazing features:

-Region Free Native Pal and NTSC output via all outputs (including SDI)

-DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD (SACD) and DVD-Video universal playback

-Compatible with Audio CD, HDCD, WMA, Kodak Picture CD, and other digitalaudio/video/picture media and formats

-Official DivX® Certified product, certified to the Home Theater Profile

-Plays all versions of DivX® video (including DivX® 6) with standard playback of DivX® media files

-Plays XviD and .SRT, .SMI, .IDX and .SUB format

-High definition up-conversion of DVD discs to 480p/720p/1080i and 1080p

-Multiple high definition video formats through HDMI output: NTSC: 480p/720p/1080i/1080p; PAL: 576p/720p/1080i/1080p

-Compatible with HDTV, HD-Ready TV, HDTV monitors and projectors with an HDMI or DVI input

-Direct PAL/NTSC disc and TV compatibility and system conversion

-Supports screen aspect ratio 4:3 (standard) and 16:9 (wide-screen)

-User adjustable video controls: Sharpness, Contrast, Brightness, and Saturation

-Composite video and S-Video outputs (standard-definition output only)

-High-resolution multi-channel digital audio output through HDMI supporting CD, DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby Digital and DTS sound tracks.

-Individual analog 5.1-channel surround and down-mixed stereo outputs

-24-bit, 192kHz high resolution audio D/A converters

-Optical and coaxial digital audio outputs with DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro-Logic II and Linear PCM support

-Built-in equalizer, channel trim and channel delay functions

-Special disc tray - thin, flexible and strong. Can tolerate some bending without breaking.

-Smooth and easy navigation of photo albums, music collections and video files on DVD and CD

-Selectable subtitle and audio tracks

-Discrete ON/OFF remote control IR codes for programmable universal remote controls

-World Power Supply: ~ 100V - 240V, 50/60Hz AC

-Power Consumption: 20W

-Dimensions: 16-1/2 W x 10-5/8 D x 1-5/8 H inches

-Mass: 2.4kg / 5.20 lbs (DVD player unit only)

What is exactly included in this package:

-Brand New Oppo DV-981HD DVD player

-Custom mod package including SDI output and IEC power input

-Free 6 Foot HDMI cable

-Free Handmade 6 foot SDI cable

-Free high-end 6 foot 14/3 IEC power cable

-Remote control with "glow in the dark" keypad (batteries included)

-Stereo audio cable

-Composite video cable

-User manual

This fabulous pre-modified video and audio DVD player will floor you with it's image quality via SDI when feed to your favorite scaler, the much praised MediaTek MT1389FE is known all over the DVD community for it's stellar Chroma performance and it delivers in spades. Along with the SDI output, the HDMI output is active at the same time, so you can use this player to feed a second system at any resolution up to 1080p via HDMI or use HDMI for all your audio needs.

MSRP with all mods, cables and extras: $749.99

Special AVS member price: $599.99 (further discount available below)

The Special Power Buy price includes "Free Shipping" via Fedex (Inside USA only), fully insured with tracking info

As a special if a minimum of 30 units is sold , a discount for EVERYONE kicks in and 2 free drawings will be initiated

The price for EVERYONE drops to $569.99 30$ off the $599.99 price!

1st Drawing: Under this Powerbuy if the minimum # of units is met, there will be a Free Drawing for one AVS Member to receive this Pre-modified Oppo package 100% free of charge including shipping!(this lucky member will have their payment refunded in full before shipment)

2nd Drawing Under this Powerbuy if the minum # of units is met, there will be a Free Drawing for one AVS Member to have power cable updated to a custom handmade version, worth over 50$

[/color]

Do you already have a Oppo 981 that you want modified?, we are also offering mods to already owned players under this special AVS powerbuy, please see the avs powerbuy page below for this info, price is 399.99$, and same as the special above, a discount and drawing kicks in
if we sell 10 modifications the price drops to 379.99$ for everyone and one person will be selected in a drawing for a free SDI mod to their 981 player

***Lead time for all the players on this power buy will be less than 10 days after the powerbuy is completed, this is due to us being able to provide this amazing price with the power of quantity purchasing and is also to the due to time related with the custom modifications and preparation to deliver the highest quality product possible to each and every customer***

***Foreign buyers are much appreciated and welcomed to this Power Buy(and are included in drawings), relevant shipping will be due at the time of sale for all foreign buyers***

Please visit this Web-page to order: Modified Oppo DV-981HD AVS Power Buy

If you have any questions please contact Gary Murrell, he is available anytime for important questions and can always be found on the AVS Forum, so PM's might get the fastest response, email Gary at: avspowerbuy "at" custom-ht.com, a phone number can be provided for those that have any questions or concerns they would like to speak about.

We are pround to offer this PB to the AVS Forum, the one and only place for the true hardcore HT enthusiast.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AVS Disclaimer.

This AVS Forum.com (AVS) post may contain images of and links to third party Web sites (Linked Sites). The Linked Sites are not under the control of AVS and AVS is not responsible for the contents of any Linked Site including without limitation any link contained in a Linked Site, or any changes or updates to a Linked Site. AVS is not responsible for webcasting or any other form of transmission received from any Linked Site nor is AVS responsible if the Linked Site is not working appropriately. AVS is providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by AVS of the site or any association with its operators. You are responsible for viewing and abiding by the privacy statements and terms of use posted at the Linked Sites.

Any dealings with third parties (including advertisers) included within the AVS or participation in promotions, including the delivery of and the payment for goods and services, and any other terms, conditions, warranties or representations associated with such dealings or promotions, are solely between you and the advertiser or other third party. AVS shall not be responsible or liable for any part of any such dealings or promotions.

AVS IS NOT THE SELLER OR MANUFACTURER OF ANY EQUIPMENT PURCHASED THROUGH A LINKED SITE. THE SELLER/MANUFACTURER MAY HAVE PROVIDED A WARRANTY ON THE GOOD(S) PURCHASED. AVS HAS NOT MADE, AND DOES NOT MAKE, ANY REPRESENTATION, WARRANTY, PROMISE OR CONVENANT, EXPRESS OF IMPLIED, AS TO THE CONDITION, QUALITY, DURABILITY, CAPABILITY, FUNCTION, PERFORMANCE, OR SUITABILITY OF THE EQUIPMENT, ITS MERCHANTABILITY OR ITS FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. BUYER AGRES THAT AVS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR EITHER SPECIFIC PERFORMANCE OR ANY LIABILITY, LOSS, TAMPERING, ABUSE, DAMAGE, INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL AND INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF BUYER'S PURCHASE OF THE EQUIPMENT, ANY DEFECTS IN THE EQUIPMENT, OR FAILURE OF SELLER/MANUFACTURER TO TIMELY DELIVER THE EQUIPMENT.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
to recap on the discounts and drawings, 30 pre-modifieds and 10 player mods, a discount for each item kicks in and then drawings

the drawings are a completely free (including shipping) premodified Oppo 981 & a free handmade custom power cable, for the player mods a completely free mod for the 981 including SDI and IEC power

the drawings will be conducted at the end of the buy and the winners announced here

I will most certainly be stopping this thing before the 30 days are over due to demand, so if you want one get in now

thanks guys, appreciate the support

-Gary

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
This looks like a cool modded DVD player, but I'm wondering if the 160% premium over the stock Oppo DV-981HD player is worth it and how discernable the improvement would be.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
beowulf, that depends on if you own a scaler video processor or not, the SDI output is totally amazing and easily beats the stock video outputs by a large margain and IMHO beats the Oppo 970 HDMI 480i output by a pretty good margain itself, not to say the least of which has no HDCP

the cost for a DIYer to complete this package hits over 540$ once you buy the player and the SDI mod kit and all parts and cables, you then need the experience to complete the mod, which counts for alot

this particular powerbuy, especially after the discount kicks, in is an amazing deal

thanks for the comments

-Gary

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

beowulf, that depends on if you own a scaler video processor or not, the SDI output is totally amazing and easily beats the stock video outputs by a large margain and IMHO beats the Oppo 970 HDMI 480i output by a pretty good margain itself, not to say the least of which has no HDCP

the cost for a DIYer to complete this package hits over 540$ once you buy the player and the SDI mod kit and all parts and cables, you then need the experience to complete the mod, which counts for alot

this particular powerbuy, especially after the discount kicks, in is an amazing deal

thanks for the comments

-Gary

I see, thanks for the reply. Is there a way where you can somehow (over the Web) demonstrate the difference between a stock Oppo DV-981 HD DVD player and this modded one?

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
beo, other than directing you to face offs done by AVS members comparing SDI outputs to other devices, not really anyway I can do that, screenshots cannot show a difference so that would be hard, best to just use other peopls opinions, there are tons of AVS members that can attest to SDI outputs and what they bring to the table including hundreds of my SDI customers here:

here are some links with SDI info and comments including my webpage, there are so many SDI threads in the archive it is sick:

http://www.custom-ht.com/sdi.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=700663
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=30
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&highlight=sdi

basically SDI gets you a cleaner, sharper, more detailed image with better colors, less image noise and haloing and when fed to a scaler will amaze you with image quality

thanks a bunch sir

-Gary

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Thanks, Gary. I'll take a look at those threads when I get a chance.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have been asked this many times from our overseas HT brothers since the powerbuy started, I want to address a few things:

1) Yes all buyers from anywhere in the world are eligible for the free drawing of the premodified player and the mod service, EVERYONE

2)for this player I claim the value of the player itself on customs forms, 200$ even, no more, this will help with those fees on their end and is completly honest

3)another thing is that this player is 100% capable of being connected directly to ANY power in the world, the supply and IEC mod is 100 - 240 volts at 50 or 60 hz, there is no country this player could not be directly connected to power, this is one of my favorite things about the Oppo's

4)in addition to 100% region free playback the Oppo 981 outputs native untouched unconverted PAL and NTSC from the SDI output

thanks for the support

-Gary

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Almost, if you own a scaler based system, I would be willing to bet that you would see a difference between the Oppo feeding the scaler 480i SDI vs the XA2 at anything, including 480i

the XA2 does what it does great, HD playback, but many(including me) prefer separate dedicated components for each source, this provides the ultimate in performance

the Oppo 981 is the best SD-DVD image I have seen feeding my personal DVDO VP50 via SDI, it took a long while for anything to come close to the Panasonics classics like the RP82 RP91 via SDI, but the Oppo 981 finally did and comes with a feature package that would leave any other player in the dust

I am very found of it, I only move products that I personally own and use and 100% honestly believe in and endorse, if it don't pass my standards, I don't try and move it to anyone else

thanks for the interest sir

-Gary

·
Registered
711 Posts
Perhaps I missed this browsing through the thread, but what's the warantee situation on this? I assume a mod like this will void the Oppo warantee?

Thanks,

Guy

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Guy, warranty is gone pretty sure, however I will take care of any problem that should arise, I purchase brand new Oppo 981's and fully check them out before modifying them to begin with

really the only problem that can arise from a DVD player is mainly the disc drive

if one ever encounters a problem, it wouldn't hurt to ask Oppo directly to see what might be able to be done, they are so good at support, a SDI mod doesn't do anything to the player, other than a hole in the rear panel, if that doesn't go anywhere, contact me and I will take care of it by repairing for you or etc.

I have sold lots of SDI DVD players over the years, 300+ easily, I have had exactly one develop issues, a Panasonic CP72

thanks

-Gary

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
grizbear, of course you can, all you need is e-b-a-y item # 200106444858, put it in the search box on their site for the auction, this is a SDI card addition for your scaler, you may already have it, just look in the top left rear corner of the scaler if you see a piece of black screwed over something you don't, if you have a connector there then you do already have it

other than that, everything you need comes with my sell, you supply the movies and you are off

thanks for your interest

-Gary

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was quite interested to hear about this powerbuy. I have read the threads on it and think that the SDI modded OPPO will give a better picture that the OPPO without the SDI. I am a bit reluctant though and the reason is that the OPPO still is a cheap "plastic" DVD-player. It is only 2-3 kg and does not have very good build quality. It might be good value for money, but this might be the last DVD-player many of us buy. It would be nice if we had a better quality DVD-player that was modded. Something like a Sony ES or Pioneer Elite. Problem is that they might not be any better picture-wise as the mpeg-decoder might be inferior?

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Norll, the Oppo 981 is a step up over the usual plastic players you are speaking of, I am in full agreement with you on that, the Oppo 981 has pretty good build and a aluminum front panel, the fully modified Oppo weighs around 7.5 pounds

yes that is the problem, those players will be inferior image wise

thanks for the interest

-Gary

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I have had a few people ask about this

for those in Europe that purchase on the powerbuy and request as such I can supply your needed cable to connect to the unit, it replaces the included american IEC power cable and is no additional cost, the mods add a high quality IEC power inlet, I can include a IEC to Shucko or IEC to UK power cable for those that need it, so with this unit and the proper cable you can connect it anywhere in the world with the included 100-240v power supply in the Oppo 981 and our IEC outlet mod, the standard Oppo power inlet is low quality

I don't offer any custom hand made power cables though with european wall connectors, sorry about that guys, I have no sources for such

-Gary

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.