AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just put in my order for the SDI Oppo and would like to also get the 16awg power cable, but I don't see the option to choose between the 14awg cable and the 16. My order keeps coming up with 14awg. How to I get 16 instead of 14?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I am not trying to be a trouble maker by no means but why would you purchase this upgrade when you could buy a HD DVD player cheaper ? With better results in picture quality.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Keith, a Toshiba HD-DVD player won't touch the Oppo 981 connected via SDI to a scaler like the DVDO VP50, not even close, this is for those with video scalers that demand the ultimate DVD image

HD-DVD players do what they do good and that is play HD-DVD

thanks

-Gary

·
Registered
344 Posts
Been looking at your mod with interest, Gary. Since I'm pretty much at the beginning ( JVC ordered) of my HT set up, I have a question.

You mention The VP-50 in many of your posts. This is a pricey item for some of us. Are there any other scalers that make the cut? A list of such or reasons for best/worst might help with my decision making.

Thanks.

Tony

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Tony, the DVDO VP30 is identical to the VP50 with SD DVD sources, the VP50 has extra HDTV capability meaning on the input side of things, you can get an amazing DVD image with even a Iscan HD or HD+ with the SDI input module(for those needing that SDI module give me a shout as I am a authorized DVDO dealer) Tony I sent you a PM

George, the Deono 2900 is one of my favorite players of all time, amazing SDI image, I would rank the Oppo slightly ahead of it, at the top of the game we are talking about plitting of 2 or 3 % hairs, to connect a SDI player to your Anthem D2(nice unit BTW) you would need some sort of SDI to HDMI adapter

thanks Guys, appreciate the interest

-Gary

·
Premium Member
941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 /forum/post/0

This looks like a cool modded DVD player, but I'm wondering if the 160% premium over the stock Oppo DV-981HD player is worth it and how discernable the improvement would be.

Hi all. I went through a similar decision process a several months ago. I have a NEC 9pgxtra that was fed by a fed by a DVDO HD+. I used a Pio Elite DV-47Ai, which was Pio's top of the line DVD player. (This was before HD-DVD arrived on the scene, and before I bought a HD Directivo. I did have a HD sat receiver, however.) I added a SDI input to the HD+, and found a Panny RP-82 that had the SDI mod. The difference (via component video) was pretty amazing. I was somewhat dubious about the difference in PQ until I saw it in person. It's kind of hard to describe what specifically was better, but the overall PQ was just more realistic. Deeper blacks, better black delineation, and more lifelike colors.

Since then, I have upgraded to a VP30 and added a Tosh HD-A1 and a HD Directivo to my system. I needed the VP30 to transcode HD signal from the Tosh and Tivo to my analog PJ. I use the SDI/RP-82 as well, along with the Precision deinterlacing board.

I have done comparisons between the same scenes of the same movie on HD DVD versus SD DVD's via the SDI/RP-82/VP30 gear. The HD-DVD is certainly cleaner, but not by an enormous amount. With a Superbit DVD, the difference is even less. Basically what I'm saying is the SDI feed into the scaler looks pretty darn good. Good enough that I have re-thought the HD-DVD purchase a couple of times, and have decided not to replace some SD DVD titles with HD-DVD versions unless it is a movie I REALLY like.

If my RP-82 were to die today I would buy one of Gary's machines to replace it.

Hope my experience helps.

BTW, I have only seen good things about Gary on the forum.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
thanks for your opinion rtart

I agree 100% that it brings new life to DVD, something that I have no interest personally in shoving aside because of all the films I would miss, this past week I watched: The Birds, Rear Window, Beverly Hills Cop, Life, Rocky Balboa and Hitcher, only 2 of those were HD releases, all others would have been ignored without DVD

-Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
to recap on the discounts and drawings, 30 pre-modifieds and 10 player mods, a discount for each item kicks in and then drawings

the drawings are a completely free (including shipping) premodified Oppo 981 & a free handmade custom power cable, for the player mods a completely free mod for the 981 including SDI and IEC power

the drawings will be conducted at the end of the buy and the winners announced here

I will most certainly be stopping this thing before the 30 days are over due to demand, so if you want one get in now

thanks guys, appreciate the support

-Ziv

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Gary, thanks for posting these images. I found these two images very telling. The 981HD SDI appears to be superior to my memory of the RP-82 and RP-91 SDI outputs thru an Iscan HD. The 981HD SDI image quality below is very compelling.

Gary... what was your processor? Sorry if I missed in in the thread.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.