AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Byte, thanks, that turned out worse than I would have thought, I have seen some players SDI modified vs the native HDMI and the difference wasn't anything as major as this comparison, it all depends on the player and many have always contested that Oppo outputs are fairly noisy and edgy, I would agree with this 100%, whats good (actually probably best in the world) is the mpeg decoder thus the SDI output is golden

I am proud to say I use the VP50

thanks again Byte

-Gary

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Thanks Gary...

If you ever get the chance to try a lesser processor, I'd love to hear how the 981HD SDI quality holds up.

I assume the 981HD SDI signal might have a touch more ringing on the vertical lines thru something like an Iscan.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Byte SDI performance has been equal on everything I have used from DVDO over the years, from the HD to the VP30 to the VP50, not to say that image quality hasn't changed due to deinterlacing etc. etc. but I haven't seen any more ringing or problems like that

all previous and current DVDO models have used the same identical SDI module which inputs the data in a identical way for them all

SDI is a knockout on a HD, VP30 or VP50, or any Lumagen or Crystalio .....

thanks Byte

-Gary

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been using a HTPC with RGB video outputs for the last 3+ years, and am looking at a stand-alone DVD player to drive my JVC SX21 D-ILA.

How would this player compare ?

Would I need a scaler ?

TIA,

:) neil

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Neil, I think you would be very pleasantly surprised dude, I mean big time

you would need a scaler, or you could go the same HTPC route with a SDI capture card and use Dscaler, we offer all this stuff on our webpage, scalers, the capture card, packages etc.

www.custom-ht.com

thanks very much for your interest, it is much appreciated

-Gary

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi Gary,

I'm a novice, trying to decide if I should buy the DV-981HD as an addition to the PS3.

Would I see a meaningful uptick?

Is the 1080P playback all that? I see you dudes are modding the thing.

Would the DV-981HD at 1080P impress over the 480P capability of the PS3?

Thanks Man.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
Cocteau, the Oppo 981 when feed via SDI to a home theater scaler would murder the PS3 on SD DVD playback, you would need a scaler though to implement the SDI output

the standard Oppo 981 will output 1080p, the SDI modified Oppo in this PB sends a untouched digital signal via SDI at 480i

thanks

-Gary

·
Registered
10,821 Posts
I wanted to once again thank everyone for their orders on the powerbuy, all orders placed so far will be shipping around 1 week from today, thanks for your patience in waiting for these orders

-Gary

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
That's too bad that you didn't get close to the 30 count. But it's understandable, b/c most people think that for $600, they'd be better off getting a good HD-DVD or Blu-ray player (PS3). Perhaps you can focus on modding one (or both) of those types of players.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

all in good time beo, I have HD-SDI powerbuys planned in the near future

-Gary

The "believers" already have their SDI players and are awaiting HD-SDI. Although I am tempted by the nice black unit.

·
Registered
10,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 /forum/post/0

The "believers" already have their SDI players and are awaiting HD-SDI. Although I am tempted by the nice black unit.

I agree, one reason I think we didn't hit the 30 mark was that I have already supplied everyone here with a SDI player

I have big things prepared for HD-SDI, so stay tuned

-Gary

41 - 60 of 68 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.