Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I am sorry to say that I removed the "Arun Gupta - You will be missed" thread entirely by mistake instead of just a post within it.

Before you ask, I am sorry to also say that I can not just recover one thread from the backup. The backups we have are for total loss recovery.

With Total Regrets,

·
Registered
297 Posts
Does anyone have an interest in taking repsonsibility for maintaining Arun's website www.digiupdate.com ? His family is looking for someone...

I have the web development skills to do it, but I don't have either the subject matter expertise nor the time to do it myself.

Please let's not forget that a large percentage of us learned much of what we know about digital televisions and especially DLP due to the efforts of Arun.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont think I ever posted on this thread, before it was deleted. I found the digiupdate site very early on my search for a new tv. It was more thorough than any of the other sites, and I would continually reference it when comparing tvs. It was a great site. I really wish Arun was still here, he helped alot of us in alot of ways.

·
Registered
2 Posts
David,hello i am arun gupta's wife, nutangupta. I would really really appreciate if something can be done to recover the thread. I have been going to the thread and reading all the good things people have written almost daily instead of griefnet.com or youngwidows.com. This has been a place of great comfort to me and my family. We come to this forum here instead of going to psychiatrists. Also I am making a coffee table book on my husband and in the chapter-"Farewell Arun " I was going to put in the remarks from the avs forum so that they could be there forever . I thought the stuff was going to be better saved on this site rather than my computer. Please help me, you could mail it on a disk for me. Please reply.

·
Registered
106 Posts
David, we might feel better if you told us why you cant restore the thread. Are they somehow encoded where you cant access them at all. The threads in the backup must be labeled or you would not be able to recover anything, would you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Most likely the reason he can't bring it back is because he said it would mean total recovery of the forums from the last back up. Depending on how often the complete site is backed up it would mean alot of missing posts from many threads. Probably not a good option. Now maybe it could be restored to another computer to grab the posts from the Arun thread, save and send to his widow. Just a thought...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I do Backup and Recovery for a living, for one of the largest and fastest growing Managed hosting providers in the world, and let me tell you, restoring something like a forum and doing it successfully is not easy. The problem you run into, is that even if you operate with differential or incremental daily backups, and decide you want to restore from the last point before the error or in this case, the deletion of the thread, you will revert the ENTIRE forum back to that point, and tons of peoples posts, new registrants and other data would be lost because of the sheer amount of transactions that occur even within just a few hours. Given this, I'd say itd be tough to revert that far back now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Due to the fact that you don't want to restore over top of the "live" forum site and it sounds like their backup software has limited capability to pick and choose specific files to restore, which is not uncommon, AVS would have to get a test server up and running, install the tape backup software, possibly the forum software, connect a tape drive (probably one that they aren't using for their current backups) and get a large enough hard drive capacity to restore the last known "good" tape backup to the server. I don't know if AVS has the resources and time to perform this. For Arun's wife, you would then have to save the contents of the thread somehow and send it to her. I am not familiar with the forum software to know if that is possible or if you would have to copy and paste its contents into something usable like MS Word, etc. It is definitely not an easy chore, time intensive and maybe costly. Sorry to hear about the honest mistake. - CP

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
It's possible that some people may have done their own backup of at least parts of the thread. Another more remote possibility is for people to scour their caches for remnants of their last visit(s) to that thread.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Yea I new here but someone made a great suggestion and one that is used quite often. You don't want to do this type of thing on your "production" servers if you can help it but I would assume a site of this magnitude would have a "development" server (which should be identical to the "production" server) from there they should be able to recover the entire thread and then do whatever they choose from there. If they don't have one NOW would be a good time to get one. It's value is more than people realize.

·
Registered
40 Posts
From running a site like this I know that they could simply search for the threadid and extract that data. At the very least they could simply post the text from the thread into one post, but they should fairly easily be able to extract the threadid and re-post it.

But then again I don't know what backup software/service they are using.

·
Registered
245 Posts
David,

I'm no expert - but Arun's obituary at Legacy.com had links to his post here at AVS/forum in the guest book at Legacy.com. Is there any way that the link at that website could serve as a marker to restore Arun's thread here at AVS/forum?

Like I said, I'm no expert - just making a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
Anyone check google cache?

TM

PS - if someone can figure out the cost in hardware to do what GPetty suggested, I'd be happy to start the pot with $100...

·
Registered
916 Posts
The problem with the restore is that each post and thread is not an individual file. The entire forum is a database. The way that databases work, to restore to get something back, you would have to restore to a point in time before the deletion, so anything after that would never have existed. (Kinda like time-travel...).

Anyway, I'm getting a new server in a few weeks (It's been backordered t Dell), and don't have any immediate critical need for it, so if it can be useful in any way in helping to do the restore to at least get a copy of the posts, let me know. The only problem is it won't be easily accessible via the net, but if I was sent the backup on CD, I could maybe restore the DB, then run a report off the posts in that thread for nutangupta, maybe that'll be enough?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Restoring the database to the main forum server is not an option. However, depending the backups as an above poster said, the database could be queried and examined, I'm sure we could at least pull the posts from the thread out and make a PDF, and then go from there with a new thread perhaps?

- D

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,565 Posts
Could you do a double restore? Back to a previous date, PRINT the thread for Arun's wife. then restore back to current?

Or restore on a redundant machine (like that new dell server on order) then print, then delete, from the new machine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Nutan I just wanted to say that I found Arun's site quite some time ago and found it very helpful for keeping up to date on things well before I knew who was updating it.

And wanted to express my thanks.

It just seems amazing that someone most of us have never met help us so regularly when we checked for updates and read about things that interested us.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.