AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start the dreaded task of taping.

At the HD I see a big stack of 5 gal buckets of "lightweight" and another big stack of "Regular" mud. OK what's the difference and which will give the best results?

Also how about that self-adhesive tape versus the regular paper stuff?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Use the regular mud for the first taping coat. For subsequent coats, just water it down *just* a hair and it will smooth and spread MUCH better and you won't have to do as much sanding. We finished out basement theater sometime last fall and I did it this way -- came out better than I could've ever dreamed and I'd never done this before. This was after scraping our popcorn ceiling and patching holes left by the recessed lighting installers in the ceiling.

I personally just like the regular old joint tape. I've used the mesh before and that's good as well as long as you don't tear it with the edge/corner of your mudding knife.

Good luck with it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
you should use the regular or all purpose drywall mud. use mesh tape only on your flat joints and not for corners and angles. use paper tape for corners and angles since it comes with a crease in it and all you do is fold it and place it in the corner. add a cup of water to the mud to thin it as Jambo suggested. it will make a difference. if you need any other suggestions pm me. i"m a drywall contractor in the Atlanta area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.