AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to bad sectors I'm going to reinstall windpows XP on a new drive. Should I take out my Radeon 8500 AIW first, or does it not matter?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
90c4,

First, I'm not sure I understand your question. If you remove your video card, you won't be able to see anything.

Second, I think one of the main reasons that people, especially newbies, have unstable HTPCs is do to a lack of understanding as to how to properly install an OS. From personal experience I can tell you that mistakes made at the OS loading stage can plague a machine indefinately.

A great resource is at the Asus boards ( http://www.asusboards.com/forums/for...?s=&forumid=41 ) by a guy named Mr. Steveo. Unfortunately the board is down now so I can't link to the specific thread, but it is stuck at the top of the linked forum. For the most part, his loading instructions work with any board. Pay close attention to the order of the install.

If newbies stick with the tried and true hardware, proper OS techniques and tested and verified software/drivers/settings a completely stable HTPC is possible.

·
Premium Member
7,206 Posts
I must have misunderstood his post. I didn't realize that "bad sectors" meant "unstable pc". In any event, no need to remove the video card. I would assume he has on board video too, which is why he asked the question.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes - I also have onboard video. Thanks. BTW - bad sectors is a hard drive hardware problem.

·
Premium Member
7,206 Posts
Yeah, I know. Just being a little difficult. I guess some folks assume you're a newbie if you're having a problem.:) Your board will work even without the Radeon drivers as far as installation. Once you get to the XP start up screen (when all is installed), it will prompt you for the drivers for your board. You should get the new hardware wizard pop up. Good luck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
well for what id do id do it as clean as possible.. goto the bios and turn off the onboard video display if you can.. get it loaded with the minimal drivers.. meaning dont have any cards except display after you get the os to install then id go through the process of adding the cards.. but thats when im not in a hurry.. in your case what id do is so a backup using the xp software.. drop the new drive in and recover from there.. and next time make a backup of the fresh install with no cards and one after all cards are installed.. this makes recovery allot faster and gives you recovery points outside of xps recovery setup.. next i would get another drive and id install all my programs on it so if you need to reload windows its done for you. and you didnt loose any of your program settings..

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbmcgee
90c4,

First, I'm not sure I understand your question. If you remove your video card, you won't be able to see anything.

Second, I think one of the main reasons that people, especially newbies, have unstable HTPCs is do to a lack of understanding as to how to properly install an OS. From personal experience I can tell you that mistakes made at the OS loading stage can plague a machine indefinately.

A great resource is at the Asus boards ( http://www.asusboards.com/forums/for...?s=&forumid=41 ) by a guy named Mr. Steveo. Unfortunately the board is down now so I can't link to the specific thread, but it is stuck at the top of the linked forum. For the most part, his loading instructions work with any board. Pay close attention to the order of the install.

If newbies stick with the tried and true hardware, proper OS techniques and tested and verified software/drivers/settings a completely stable HTPC is possible.

Great find!!

The board is back online again.

Here the specific thread.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I installed HP and the drivers for the onboard Intel video. I could NEVER get the AGP video card to work correctly without re-installing WinXP from scratch with the AGP card plugged in. Some remnant of the internal driers would NOT go away and led to startup failures. So if you are long term running with that then you are better off installing with that card right off the bat. Also, make sure that the on-board card is disabled in the bios.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I ended up reinstalling XP on a new drive with my card already in, and now everything is working as it should. In fact, it's better than ever as previously I wasn't able to run any ATI drivers higher than catalyst 2.4 I think without a black screen, and my gamma is where it should be. I wish I reinstalled Windows a long time ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.