AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to upgrade my Sub for Home theatre and Music use.

My current set up is : Integra RDC-7, Sunfire Signature Series 2 channel for front, 5 channel for the rest, Aerial Acoustic 10'ts front and side, CC5 center, SR3 rear, Panasonic RP-91 and Mirage 150 Sub

I listen to mostly classic rock with some Reggea, Funk, Motown, Latin, a little New Age, Jazz and Classical mixed in.

My current room isn't important as I will move soon and will build a dedicated theatre (dimensions per an expert) to accomodate 3 rows of seating for a total of about 8 or 9 seats.

I heard the Aerial SW-12 and to my surprise was not impressed. I also heard the Velodyne 15" and thought it wasn't "tight" enough.

I don't want to spend too much time researching this purchase, but on the other hand I don't want to regret my decision either. So far I have been thrilled with all the equipment in my current set-up except for the Sub and Panasonic RP-91. (I like the RP-91 just not as much as the rest of my system)

All comments are is very much appreciated. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Warren,

You may want to check out the subs at VMPS. I'm thinking about getting the exact Aerials that you have, but some kind people pointed me over to VMPS and after doing some research I'm seriously considering a major purchase from them. According to the research I have done, their Large sub is both good musicaly and for HT. However it is passive so you will need an amp to power it. If I counted your speakers correctly you should have 2 free channels on the 5 channel Sunfire anyway. I would advise you to give them a call, usualy the owner designer answers and gives you some of the best advise I have ever heard. The link is as follows:
http://www.vmpsaudio.com

Regards,

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rich,

Thanks for the post. I will check out VMPS.

As far extra channels on my amp they are all used up, but I can always get another amp.

The Aerial 10T's are discontinued, but there are probably some around as demo models. I actually may have a list of what was around as of 5 or 6 weeks ago. (I considered buying a demo pair, but decided on the last pair of 10'Ts from the factory ) If your interested send me a PM and I could see if I could find the list for you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Word of warning on Rel subs if you live near a AM radio tower the AM station will transmit through the sub. Had that problem and tried all kinds of different soulutions including rels tech support w/ no luck. Ended up returning the Rel for a Mcintosh PS112.

·
Registered
173 Posts
How about Revel B15? I use one in my living room (size over 6000 sq ft, with opening to other areas of the house) and getting extremely tight bass and more than enough sound pressure. I have yet to test out the limit of the sub since I worry about the structure of my house more :)

Give it a listen and you may like it too.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
6000 sq ft living room?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Guys,

Sorry, it's 6000 cubic ft of living room.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried the rel stadium, aerial and velodyne, but IMHO- the talon roc "bested" them all for output AND dynamics. Look for other reviews on this amazing sub. Once you hear one, you wont go back to ANY other sub. I know, I never think twice about upgrading it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi Warren,

Thanks for the offer about the Aerials but I'm seriously considering a full speaker setup from VMPS the setup would be as follows:

Fronts: VMPS FF3 SRE

Center VMPS LRC

Side Surrounds VMPS RM-40

Rear Surrounds VMPS 626R

Subwoofer LSW with all options

I still haven't ruled out the Aerials but what got me thinking is that they are bringing out the upgraded 10T with a ribbon tweeter this winter. The 20T also has a ribbon tweeter. The price of the 10T will increase another 4k as I understand it. The ribbon tweeter actually only costs about $500 and since VMPS has already been doing ribbons for a very long time they are making more and more sense to me. Their RM-40 also won best of CES this year in January against speakers costing 50k or more. Have a conversation with Brian Cheney it is worth it just for the education.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fazoid,

Thanx for the warning. I don't think I live near a radio tower and I hope I don't move next to one. I guess I would find out pretty quick if I go with the Rel.

Other than the Am problem what did you think of your Rel? Was it the Staduim?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi warren, yes it was the stadium. It is a great sub, with tight Bass.Much better than the Mac i returned it for. The Mac is a fine sub but the rel blended better w/ my speakers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was told that if you plug the LFE signal into the left Lo Input that you bypass the Crossover in the Rel.

This would be perfect for me as I would like to use the Hi Input crossover set to 30 or 40Hz in the Stadium using the Integra RDC-7 Pre amp set to Sub off for Stereo and set the Sub On for Movies and DVD-Audio using the RDC-7's crossover set to 80Hz.

Can anyone confirm that using the left input on the Lo Input will bypass the crossover?

Does the balanced input bypass the crossover as well?

Thanx in advance

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recieved an email from Rel that says you can bypass the Rels' crossover, but not by using the left input on the Lo Input.

The Rel internal crossover is bypassed by putting the mode switch in position 2 (or 4). The crossover is only bypassed for the low/LFE input and it is always active for the high level input. The balanced input does not bypass the crossover.

I have decided to go for it and order the Stadium tommarrow. Thanx to everyone who helped me with this decision. Your guidence is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
fazoid:

out of curiosity, how did your am interference problem manifest itself?

just discovered i am getting a soft, audible bump..bump,bump...bump out of my rel now and them, very low and almost subliminal. haven't done any isolation tests yet to see if it is coming in over the inputs or power lines, but the effect can be made to go away by powering off the rel.

·
Registered
195 Posts
jlm as soon as i set up the rel stadium and turned on my pre/pro i could sit and listen to the weather forecast through the rel. as it turns out i live only a couple of miles from a am tower and was told that my subwoofer inteconnect was acting as a antenna thus transmiting thru my sub. I did try a better shielded cable which did help some but still annoying enough to return the rel for the Mcintosh ps112. sorry i didn,t responed earlier but i was out of town.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.