AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, i have a friend wanting to purchase a smaller sub for his home and is wanting to sell me his REL Storm III for around $600. I presently have a BOOMY Def Tech PF15TL. I have been looking at picking up a used SVS PB13 Ultra or a new Rythmik HP15 but they would be twice the price of the Studio III. I use my setup mainly for HT but do listen to music through it as well. This may not be enough detail, but what would you do given this scenario?

THANKS!!

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts
REL Studio III:

- dual 10" drivers

- 500W RMS amp

- extension to 9Hz @ -6dB (in-room?) (according to Stereophile.com )

- 205 lbs.

I wonder how a PSA XV15 would compare:

- 15" driver

- 500W RMS amp

- extension to 21Hz @ -3dB (2m ground-plane)

- 92 lbs.

- $799 (shipped)

- brand new, with full warranty

·
Premium Member
13,362 Posts

Quote:
... its a STORM III.
According to the owner's manual (PDF):

- 10" driver

- 150W RMS amp

- extension to 16Hz @ -6dB

I definitely wouldn't pay $600 for it.

IMO, you'd be better off with something like:

i) the Klipsch RW-12d (currently on sale at Newegg.com for $299):

- 12" driver

- 350W RMS amp

- extension to 24Hz @ -3dB

ii) the SVS PB-1000 ($499, shipped):

- 10" driver

- 300W RMS amp

- extension to 19Hz @ -3dB

iii) for $30 more than your buddy's sub, the Outlaw LFM-1 EX (currently on sale for $629, shipped):

- 12" driver

- 350W RMS amp

- extension to 16Hz @ -2dB (one port plugged), or 22Hz @ -2dB (no ports plugged)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hope we're not buying on specs.

I sure hope it is not being recommended to buy a subwoofer based on what the manufacturer claims in the specifications. If so, I'd suggest a different hobby. Seriously.

Unless you need the sub to blast out movies at high volume I cannot imagine any way a Klipsch could hold a candle to an REL sub. Same for the Def Tech you have.

Good luck and try to listen if possible. If not, read lots more reviews and ignore what the mfrs are saying; they only want to sell subs.

Mark, Colorado Springs

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I had a Rel Storm it's ok but no match for the PB13 Ultra 13. For music the Storm would be plenty. Good thing about Rel is the low crossover points with the ABC.

For music I'd look into a SB sub.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.