AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been pondering this decision for about 6 to 8 months and I am ready to buy. I have done a fair amount of research, but half of what I read, I don't understand because I am far from an expert.

After all of my research, I was going to go with an SVS SB-12 Plus. But, then someone recommended that I take a look at the REL T3. It appears that I can get the T3 for a little less than the SB-12, so that helps the budget.

My dilemma....my speakers are in wall/celing 6.1 surround sound system, I think they are Klipsch.....so I am not sure what type of sub to pair with in-ceiling speakers. I dont want to over buy or over power the speakers.

I would like to know your thoughts on the REL vs. SVS. And if anyone has any other recommendations that would work well with my set-up.

My subwoofer needs are as follows:
Budget: $400 - $600

Size: Looking for a smaller sub that performs, cant have a HUGE box in family room.

Room dimensions: 18x20, the roof is sloped, at its lowest point it is 8 ft and at the highest point it is 10 ft. there is a 6 ft cut out that goes to the dining area and a 4 ft cut out that goes to the kitchen, so it is not a completely walled off room

Uses: 50% HT and 50% music

Listening Habits: Average, sometimes loud

Appearance: Not a big priority

Thanks for the help.....

·
Registered
820 Posts
I believe the T3, while sounding good, will be quite underwhelming in that size room. The Martin Logan Dynamo will have more and cleaner output, at essentially the same price and cabinet size.

·
Registered
820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert /forum/post/15490866

I believe the T3, while sounding good, will be quite underwhelming in that size room.

Agreed. As nice as they are, that is a big room for a sub with an 8" driver and a 8" passive. The challenge, as usual, will be finding a performing sub for a larger room, that is physically small and has a modest price point. That's something that we all seek but doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I guess it is back to the drawing board......so the SVS SB-12 and REL T3 will be underwhelming.

Is the Martin Logan Dynamo the only recommendation for my situation? I think I will try to go listen to it this weekend at Magnolia. Are there any others?

Any subs like the SVS PB 12 or AV123 MFW-15 are just too big......

Thanks again for the help....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts