Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks.

What's the maximum or most adequate screen size for 1280x720 DLP projectors without picture quality degradation????

I'm guessing there must be some kind of rules for this. Any formula ?

I think.. maximum or most adequate screen size without compromise in picture quality for 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720, 1920x1080(if they become available) DLP projectors should be different.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
The most obvious way the PQ would degrade is that you notice the pixels and/or see artifacts that you wouldnt otherwise see. But, it's all relative to the distance from the screen and source material. HD will allow you to sit closer than DVD than ntsc, etc.

In my case, I sit 13'8" from a 110 inch diag firehawk using a Marantz S1 DLP pj. HD is astonishing. I could easily sit closer and not notice any pixels. DVD is great too, though less so, and the sense is that too much closer would be too close. SD of course looks soft at best and doesnt invite closer viewing.

The other part of picture quality that could be degraded by picture size is brightness. The bigger the screen, the dimmer the image keeping the PJ constant. The marantz puts out more than enough light in my set up. Hope this helps.

TM

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Yes, but you didn't mentioned your viewing distance so you may want to keep that in mind. General rule of thumb is 1.5-2x screen width.

·
Registered
7,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lovingdvd
Yes, but you didn't mentioned your viewing distance so you may want to keep that in mind. General rule of thumb is 1.5-2x screen width.
This is a good rule of thumb, but I have found as you provide a better source image "1080i", the pixel/screen door artifact is less apparent at closer viewing ratios.

RJ

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.