AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have returned a few tvs for different reasons, looking for a good all around tv for primarily playing games and watching movies. first i had a samsung 46 inch 750 series with a 240hz refresh rate. beautiful picture but high lag with no game mode on, and with game mode on the picture looked somewhat too crummy for my tastes. then i returned that for a panasonic s2 50 inch plasma, but wasnt happy with the less sharp picture inherent with plasma displays, although lag was pretty much nonexistent. so i returned that and now got a sony bravia 55 inch lcd 120hz. the thing is, last sunday i took my xbox and guitar hero 3 which has a build in lag estimating tool to best buy and the 240hz tvs i tested all had significantly more lag (80-100ms) than the 120hz models (5-33ms). now i know that the guitar hero method has some room for error because it is dependent on your ability to accurately hit the strums, but my results were pretty consistent for each of the refresh rates i tried. in fact the tv that had the lowestl lag was a 120hz toshiba 52" lcd which i got about 0-10ms, but didnt get because i have more faith in sony and the bravia's lag time was only about 30ms and had a beautiful picture.

is there a correlation between higher refresh rates and more input lag? that is to say, does the higher refresh rate result in extra processing which makes the tv take longer to respond? or is there some other explanation?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh and i would have gotten a samsung 120hz but the remote control on that 750 was so damn clunky, i would often have to press a button two or three times for it to respond.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I don't understand your complaint about a "less sharp" picture on the Panasonic plasma. They have more natural looking picture than most other tv's. A lot of TV's may have the sharpness purposely set wrong from the factory. A sharpness setting of "0" does not necessarily mean no additional sharpening. I calibrated my Toshiba 52" LCD with the S&M blu-ray, and it clearly showed that "0" sharpness still had a lot of artificial sharpening halos. I had to go into the negative range to get it set properly.

"Game mode" on these TV's usually turn it back to 60Hz mode. So no use in getting 120/240Hz for just gaming. Yes there is processing always going on in the TV that causes lag. Unfortunately no real way to turn off ALL of the processing. Even the "sharpness" and "color" controls require some processing before the image gets to the screen.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Guitar Hero is not a very accurate way to estimate lag. Getting a result of only 30ms on ANY Sony TV is evident of that. Supposedly Rock Band 2's method of lag estimation will be much more accurate, as it uses a light sensor and the microphone. I assume the reason is that sound and light can be detected far faster than physical inputs of buttons pressed.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Def Fan /forum/post/18826553

Guitar Hero is not a very accurate way to estimate lag. Getting a result of only 30ms on ANY Sony TV is evident of that. Supposedly Rock Band 2's method of lag estimation will be much more accurate, as it uses a light sensor and the microphone. I assume the reason is that sound and light can be detected far faster than physical inputs of buttons pressed.

Sony in game mode is around 30ms for most sets 60ish out of game mode and about 100 with interpolation on.

He was getting pretty good results considering it was guitar hero.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts