AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into building my first surround system recently. I really don't need anything too fancy but at the same time I'd rather not underinvest, especially in the receiver area.

To that end, I've been looking at the new xx7 line from Onkyo. One of the big features for the 807 seems to be the network port. Obviously, this is nice for streaming things, but I also wonder about its overall level of functionality when a PS3 is also connected which can act as a full media server. Thus the main draw of ethernet in the AVR seems to be firmware updating. Is this the real main benefit of the feature?

Are there any other major distinct advantages to going into this mid-level price range for receivers?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Don't underestimate firmware updating. My 805 had several updates, some of them critical. This alone is worth having.

You could also stream Pandora which is something my PS3 does poorly using the browser it comes with.

I would love to have the Ethernet feature on my 805 and will definitely have on my next AVR. Hopefully someone else can chime in on exactly what the Onkyo 906/905 have been able to do in the past. You could check out that thread.

·
Registered
58 Posts
In order to "future-proof" your system, I would insist on an Ethernet connected receiver. The Ethernet port can also be used with an AMX/Crestron/etc. type high end distribution/automation system. These systems deliver control signals (like your remote control does over IR) over the Ethernet network. And they can also get feedback from the RS-232 ports in order to ensure the best possible user experience.

Even w/o this extra hardware, there are still benefits. The new networked Denon's and Yamaha's have a web-based receiver control app. It's really nice to be able to set-up or make changes to the receiver by simply calling up the website on your laptop, smart phone, PDA, etc. Much nicer than doing from the front panel, and even slightly cooler than using the IR remote and GUI on your TV to setup/change the receiver's settings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts