AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to trim some trees that are blocking access to 110 and 119 (I receive 101 without a problem). What is the relative position of these three satellites assuming one is looking at the face of a clock? Or does anyone have a better visual guide? I have lots of trees and obviously only want to trim the guilty parties.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Using the Guide data from http://www.orbitsat.com/Support/Satpointer.asp

Lat / Long from Map Point

For New Haven, CT

N41.30 W72.95

Code:
Code:
Pos   Elevation    Azmith    Sat           Clock
101  34.382268  218.93865    DirectTV 101  = 7:17

110  29.279214  228.865101   DirectTV 110  = 7:37

119  23.468301  237.562179   EchoStar 1&2  = 7:55

Clock times based on
Time = Azimuth / 360 * 12
Hour = Int(Time)
Minutes = INT( MOD( Time, INT( Time ) ) *60)
Digital to analog conversion of clock is up to you :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
It's about the difference of about 45 minutes, going by the hour-hand.

Stand by your dish and face south (180 degrees). Put your right arm straight out, that's west (270 degress). Dead between them is your middle target. (225 degrees, about where 110 is from your site).

Look a little to the left from there and a little more to the right. That's your shot at the birds.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Argh, duplicate post.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If your dish is easily accessible, you can use a laser pointer to give you an idea of where to cut. 110 and 119 are slightly to the right and down.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
The Azimuth is not the biggest challenge here. It is the elevation that is a killer with the trees. Both 110 and 119 sit lower in the sky than the 101 degree satellite.

The rotation of the dish is what allows us to converge three different azimuth points with three different elevation points.

If you are in the northeast and having problems, one of the potential solutions to optimize signal strength on each individual bird after trimming is to use three different dishes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am having the same problem. Except the trees that are in the way are not on my property.

Don O'Brien wrote:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are in the northeast and having problems, one of the potential solutions to optimize signal strength on each individual bird after trimming is to use three different dishes. Just a thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How can I do this? What dishes and multi-switch do I need to buy.

This may solve my problem.

Thanx

lightly

·
Registered
632 Posts
Buy three 18" dishes and one Sat C kit ($8 via DTV)

On DTV the 110 gets combined with 119 via the Sat C kit.

119 and 101 go into the 4 inputs on a 4x4 multiswitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.