AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am now giving some consideration to the new Sony 55" LCD rear projection.

Would like to hear comments on reliability between the two types.

I looked at the new Sony today at a local store and was quite impressed with the picture quality. Whatever type or brand I buy I will purchase an extended warrantee.

So...

I am looking for personal experiences you have had with Sony LCD rear projection, Samsung DLP and Toshiba DLP.

(I am looking at the new Sony A20's)

I have Comcast cable with the new HD box.

Overall satisfaction, Quality issues, Manufacturer responce time, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
None or more prone to defects or errors than any other.

You're getting the warrantee, you don't have anything to worry about! (for 4 or 5 years!)

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
The question of which has better reliablity has been argued in several threads (try searching for them). Some claim to know, and others (myself included) believe that nobody really knows. Some claim those moving DLP color wheels are ticking time bombs, yet Sony LCDs are the #1 sets needing repairs. However, since they are the #1 seller of microdisplays, it's difficult to know whether the fact that they require more repairs than any other HDTV is due to poor reliablity or just more sets out there. Another factor is that most would agree that Samsung service is much better than Sony service, should you require repair. I'm sure many will now chime in that they had a lemon Samsung or a lemon Sony or a lemon Toshiba, etc, etc, but of course these individual stories are not reliable for predicting reliablity of the set you end up buying (and for what it's worth, my 2-year-old Samsung DLP has worked perfectly so far). The bottom line, IMO, is that 1) you should get an extended warranty so that you don't have to worry about it, and 2) choose whichever set you like best, based on PQ and features (I would not base my decision on others' biased opinions on reliablity, as long as you stick with these major brands).

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
I purchased an A20 at the end of July. First unit had about 6 dead pixels. The dealer I purchased it from let me switch it out with no problems. New one is perfect. I was able to purchase a 5 year warranty from the same dealer for a little over two hundred bucks. Buy from someone with a no hassle return policy and get a warranty extension (hopefully one like mine that covers bulbs) and you should be fine.

Don't mean to scare you off from the A20. I love it. Upgraded from a 35XBR48 purchased back in '98. Only reason I bought the extra warranty is because all microdisplays seem to come with only one year (which really suprised me when I started my research)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.