AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I went to the local Best Buy, Walmart, Frys, and Costco and wrote down all the model numbers for 40-42'' LCDs in the $700 range. I spent the past 3 days researching Samsungs, LGs, and Panasonics. It literally seems every single TV has some sort of serious issues - lip sync, breaking down when warranty expires, various display issues, etc.

What's also frustrating is that reviewers disagree on different websites. For example, the Samsung LN40B530 has good reviews on Amazon, but on Sears multiple people say the TV simply breaks down after 2 years. The LG 42LH40 is praised on Amazon, but people on this forum say they see lip sync problems.

I'm just trying to find a reliable LCD TV that will serve me for 10+ years. Any help is greatly appreciated?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
well for starters

Quote:
Samsung LN40B530 has good reviews on Amazon, but on Sears multiple people say the TV simply breaks down after 2 years

is a false statement because that model has only been around for 1 year

In all honesty I would not expect any currently sold TV be it LCD or Plasma will last 10+ years, that being said plasma has a better chance because the rated lifetime of Plasma panels is 2x the rated life of the best CCFL LCD's (normal LCD's the kind in your price range)

for best bang for your buck i would highly recommend looking at Panasonic 42" or 50" X1 Plasmas the 50" is at the high end of your price restrictions and it will outperform any LCD in this price range period even though its only 720p

if your going to be sitting close to the TV (8 feet or less) then a 40-42" 1080p LCD may be better for you and for the best bang for you buck look at the Toshiba 40xv645u its a great deal and performs very well for its price

otherwise look at Sony, Sharp, LG and perhaps Samsung's sets but for best performance the models i mentioned above will beat anything these brands offer in this price range and the reliability of the Panasonic plasma IMO is better than anything else because they have been making plasmas longer than most companies have been selling LCD TV's and have a good track record for reliably in all their products.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I am with you calbear... If you keep reading these forums you will find "issues" with most of them. I think the complaints people have are real, it's just difficult to tell if they're universal on the models, or if there's only a low percentage of defective units. You said you're looking for reliability - that is harder to judge than defects out of the box...

It sounds like you are not too picky on performance, so it's just a matter of deciding what's important to you. For example, I was really leaning toward the LG LH40 line, but the reports of audio lag are keeping me away from those - that would drive me BUGGY!!!!

Other sets have various visual problems - it all comes out on these forums... I was reading about Samsung "S/A/C" panels, then when I looked at "S" and "A" panels on display in stores, I thought, "That doesn't look too bad..." So, it's hard to judge...

$700 is a big chunk of my "fun money" budget, so I'm not spending it too quick... I'm looking at the Toshibas also, but there are lots of reports of backlight bleed or flashlighting or something...and at first I thought their screens were kind of too reflective.... Let me know what you end up with - it may help me out!

I want: Good off-axis, good screen uniformity, 1080p, 40-42", matt screen, and some ability to show pictures for around $650 out the door... I'm willing to wait for a deal.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Likes_Games /forum/post/18154966

I want: Good off-axis, good screen uniformity, 1080p, 40-42", matt screen, and some ability to show pictures for around $650 out the door... I'm willing to wait for a deal.
This is currently $700 but will soon (maybe April?) be replaced by the 42" version of this , which should have an MSRP of $750 and a street price of $650 or less. IPS panel for the best viewing angle that you're going to get from an LCD, 1080p, 42", matte screen, and an SD card slot for viewing pictures. And they're reliable.

But FWIW, I agree with frito that in this price range you're getting a far better TV if you buy a plasma.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.