AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I record TV on my HTPC and used to burn recordings to DVDs which I put in a 400 DVD changer. I later sold the DVD changer and kept the DVDs and in addition have almost 1 TB of recordings on my PC.

What would be a reliable ans inexpensive way to store them? I thought the new 128 GB bluray discs where perfect until I saw the price per disc (over $100). There's always the 50 GB blurays bur 50 GB is rather small when I have over 1 TB to store.

I don't really trust electronic things like hard drives or flash drives as backup as they can be wiped clean rather easily (especially flash), but then again the dyes in burnable optical discs degrade over time too.

Is there a better solution I'm overlooking?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
The least expensive storage media in cost per GB is a hard drive. I store all of my media on a 21TB unRAID server that's been running 24/7 for about five years. I upgraded the discs from 750GB to 1.5TB units several years ago. I have over 1000 Blu-Rays and DVDs ripped to MKV files and stored on the server so that anyone in the house can access them on any PC. The server has a parity disc so if any single drive dies the data can be recovered by simply replacing the disc with a new one. The array automatically rebuilds the data from parity.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Copy the DVD's onto a hard drive for ease of access and keep the DVD's as back ups. But, I have to tell you, physical media like DVD is not failure proof. I have some early burned DVD's from the 90's, and they were kept in their cases, and sleeves. I went to retrieve something from the disc, and it was unreadable. There are no scratches or any other visible damage to the disc, but when I put it in, it is just blank.

If you want redundancy, set up a RAID, with an additional backup onto another RAID, and set the files are "read only" so that there is no accidental erasure.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod  /t/1421433/reliable-and-inexpensive-video-storage-solution#post_22242758

Copy the DVD's onto a hard drive for ease of access and keep the DVD's as back ups. But, I have to tell you, physical media like DVD is not failure proof. I have some early burned DVD's from the 90's, and they were kept in their cases, and sleeves. I went to retrieve something from the disc, and it was unreadable. There are no scratches or any other visible damage to the disc, but when I put it in, it is just blank.

If you want redundancy, set up a RAID, with an additional backup onto another RAID, and set the files are "read only" so that there is no accidental erasure.

I remember early DVD-R/CD-R discs have a quoted life span about 20 years or so. Some (e.g. gold discs) doing better than others. But 20 to 30 years are as good as you can get. Nothing lasts forever. HDDs these days last only about 3 years on average. So DVD/BD-R discs are still the most reliable media for long term storage.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1421433/reliable-and-inexpensive-video-storage-solution#post_22243157

I remember early DVD-R/CD-R discs have a quoted life span about 20 years or so. Some (e.g. gold discs) doing better than others. But 20 to 30 years are as good as you can get. Nothing lasts forever. HDDs these days last only about 3 years on average. So DVD/BD-R discs are still the most reliable media for long term storage.
Gold discs are gone. Today durability of coating is much shorter. After a few close calls, my important stuff are on RAID1 mirroring.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121  /t/1421433/reliable-and-inexpensive-video-storage-solution#post_22243157

The quoted 3 year life expectancy you quote for HDDs, that sounds like the "IN USE" average.... How long should we expect out of HDD if we Unplug and put away for archive purposes?

·
Registered
12,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1421433/reliable-and-inexpensive-video-storage-solution#post_22244056

I think 3 years.

Yes in store.

I

As far fas I can tell, it should fall into Costco's life time warranty.

·
Registered
12,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manobeer  /t/1421433/reliable-and-inexpensive-video-storage-solution#post_22255762

The quoted 3 year life expectancy you quote for HDDs, that sounds like the "IN USE" average.... How long should we expect out of HDD if we Unplug and put away for archive purposes?

Who knows. The motor bearing and other mechanical parts may fail or dry out. Or you simply can't find anything to connect to the HDD in the distant future.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Oh man burning to discs. What a nightmare. I still have a bunch of old spindles of divx movies.

I would put them on a few hard drives. Then use something like Flexraid to add some parity in case a disk fails. Its not fool proof but I mean there just tv shows right? Good enough for most folks. I always have troubles with old discs not wanting to work. And the kids like to scratch them to hell.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts