AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A short time ago I was aghast to discover that my HD-100 was no longer picking up the local CBS station on 56.1. In a few minutes I discovered that the signal strength was 100% on 56.1 but that the station had been "remapped" to 4.1. This was not the case on an old DTC-100 which still brought the thing in on the 56.1 setting. Will someone please let me know something about this, for want of a better word, "remapping?" Thanks, Art.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The newer STB's do this automatically. Your DTC-100 calls it "On-Air Guides" and you can turn them on or off manually. Basically the digitial signal contains information in it telling your STB what to channel to call this digital channel. I am going to assume that the analog version of CBS is channel 4 where you live. They remapp the digital channels to a channel number that is more familiar to people in the attempt to avoid confusion. However as you have found, when using different STB's this can actually CAUSE confusion because you need to use different channel numbers for the same channel depending on which TV in the house you are watching.

"Remapping" is as good a term as any for this process.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ripster:

I live in LA and when I got the SONY box, channels mapped to 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 43.1(9), 11.1 and 66.1(13). However, I remapped recently (and as far as I can tell can only be done manually), and 7.1 went to 53.1 and 11.1 went to 65.1. I remapped several days later and one went back to the original and the other didn't.

The point being, I think the stations are tinkering with the mapping and information program and their isn't anything you can do about it..
I believe what you are seeing is more of a problem with the Sony STB than a station problem. I owned the Sony for two weeks and had similar channel remapping oddities on the NYC stations. I have also tried the Samsung, Toshiba, and RCA boxes and the channel remapping was always done properly.

[This message has been edited by Bogney Baux (edited 06-16-2001).]

·
Registered
690 Posts
Bill, far from an expert here, but my version of remapping is a little different. The networks complained that their digital numerical label (ie - 53.1 rather than channel 4) caused consumers confusion (like us). So they set up this remapping so we wouldn't get confused.

In putting in new equipment and testing their ability to send out programming info, it seems these mappings are getting lost and changing back and forth.

I live in LA and when I got the SONY box, channels mapped to 2.1, 4.1, 7.1, 43.1(9), 11.1 and 66.1(13). However, I remapped recently (and as far as I can tell can only be done manually), and 7.1 went to 53.1 and 11.1 went to 65.1. I remapped several days later and one went back to the original and the other didn't.

The point being, I think the stations are tinkering with the mapping and information program and their isn't anything you can do about it..

·
Registered
983 Posts
The ATSC standards calls for digital stations to 'label' themselves with their analog channel number as the virtual 'major channel' with subchannels beginning at '1' for the first 'minor channel' (minor channel '0' is to be used to label the analog channel in the DTV guide infomation transmitted). This puts the digital channels adjacent to the analog channels in the DTVs electronic program guide and permits doing up/down channel to switch between them.

This was built into the standard because broadcasters have a lot of consumer identification and branding built around their channel number (much more so than their call letters).

In theory it will be transparent, but since much of the consumer equipment (and broadcaster's, too) is barely out of the beta-test phase and still being implemented it does not always work as designed yet. If a station is not sending out the correct PSIP data (or the computer program generating it crashes) the guide will default to the 'physical' TV channel rather than the 'virtual' re-mapped channel.

------------------

Visit http://pub1.ezboard.com/fdigitaltele...isionnewsforum for news and information on DTV and HDTV

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.