AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new (old 1986 Sota Sapphire) turntable and haven't even set it up yet, but I've been looking at LP's to purchase and came across the terms remastered and enhanced for new versions of classic albums. I haven't listened to vinyl since high school (early 70's) and am hoping to recreate that magic when Led Zep blew me away with their first album!

Anyways....are these "enhanced and remasters" taken from the original analog tapes, or is there some digital (now a dirty word!) processing going on here? Seems that by adding any digital stage it would defeat the whole purpose of listening on vinyl for that velvet feel!?

BTW, where is the TT section in AVS?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman /forum/post/18243929

am hoping to recreate that magic when Led Zep blew me away with their first album!

Then you want to find the original vinyl.

I have no idea what they mean by "remastered" vinyl. Maybe they went back to the original tapes. Or, maybe they just put the "remastered" digital (CD) info back on vinyl. The former might be OK, I'd avoid the latter. I did not know they were advertising "remastered" vinyl!

·
Registered
64 Posts
"Enhanced," from a marketing perspective, is often used to refer to a vinyl LP that includes a digital/ mP3 version of the album.

"Remastered," means simply that a new master has been used to spawn each mass-produced copy of the new edition. May be good, could be bad...

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Goldman /forum/post/18243929

I just got a new (old 1986 Sota Sapphire) turntable and haven't even set it up yet, but I've been looking at LP's to purchase and came across the terms remastered and enhanced for new versions of classic albums. I haven't listened to vinyl since high school (early 70's) and am hoping to recreate that magic when Led Zep blew me away with their first album!

Anyways....are these "enhanced and remasters" taken from the original analog tapes, or is there some digital (now a dirty word!) processing going on here? Seems that by adding any digital stage it would defeat the whole purpose of listening on vinyl for that velvet feel!?

BTW, where is the TT section in AVS?

Don't worry even digitizing the original master tapes won't have any impact on that authentic vinyl surface noise or static clicks-n-pops. And any cartridge of your choice will still introduce it's very own signature stylings to the frequency response of the recording. And of course the warps will still give you goose bumps every time they come around and throw the tonearm in the air.
And digital in the recording chain will have no impact on feedback, footfalls, or door slams while you're listening.

So set up that Sota with confidence! Everything you've forgotten about vinyl is still there waiting to be rediscovered. PS, I still have two turntables.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Losts of people are reissuing vinyl- Classic Records, Speaker's Corner, Mobile Fidelity. The vinyl is heavier, which cuts down on lots of problems the miserable thin "Dynaflex" records of the seventies were prone to.

If it's remastered vinyl this place would have it:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/

They are also really expensive. I tend to look to used record stores and try to find an original issue if possible, or as early a pressing as I can determine. There is a theory that master tapes can lose frequencies over years of being passed over tape heads, so expensive reissues may not sound as good as originals. White promo issues of records bring a premium because they are right smack dab off of the earliest masterings of the master tape (they can also be lower quality vinyl, but I have found them to generally sound fine).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts