AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen several recordings of some artists I like re-released with the phrase"Remastered Recording ". I have the original CD versions, but I am wondering if there is sonically any improvement to the remastered version. Lowering hiss as some have pointed out in other threads can remove some of the details of the recording. Is this all that remastering does remove hiss, or are there other "improvements" made?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Unfortunately there is no hard and fast rule that says the potential improvement is worth it. Even some of the new SACD and DVD-A remastered releases are bad (like the two channel version of TOTO IV and Ah Via Musicom by Eric Johnson).

However, I have stopped buying remastered CD's and will only buy something I already have on vinyl or CD if it is remastered well on DVD-A or SACD as these can present a significant improvement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buzz for the reply, I too enjoy DVDA and DTS versions of older recordings. Even thou I do not have a DVDA player ( so not true DVDA) I have a HTPC with a Delta 410 sound card so I can use my PC as a decent pre amp. I am hoping they will at some time allow a digital output to these players since I currently have only two way speakers and a sub woofer for the low end. No bass management to speak of with the current players. I will agree the sound improvement is noticeable with these new formats.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I've found both DVD-A and SACD multi-channel players with bass management (albeit limited) and time alignment for under $200 retail. The trick is how to integrate them into the system...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a little searching on the web and you are right, they are appearing on the market, thanks, I will look at these new models or maybe waiting till the music industry gives in. I do have 2 analog ins on 410 but that would make the music path analog -> digital -> analog so there will likely be degradation of the sound.

back to the orginal thread, is the Beattles One album an improvement? is this an exception to the usually poor remastering done theses days?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yes, the Beatles One sounds pretty good. But you know they will release Beatles stuff in hi-res (they've already announced the entire Stones catalog on SACD).

And the remastering tools and techniques keep getting better with time.

·
Registered
448 Posts
There's no hard and fast rule whether or not a specific remaster is good or not. I would think it safe to say that if it's a recent recording (85-02) there's a good likelihood that the remaster will be better since the master tapes are likely in good condition and it's a matter of going back and simply using better mastering equipment. The mastering engineer has an awful lot to do with it, as well.

Older stuff is more hit and miss. I usually don't pick up a remaster unless it's an album I really, really like and don't mind having a second copy, even if doesn't turn out to be better. Sometimes I'll pick up remasters if I hear from word-of-mouth or read an article indicating that it sounds significantly better.

-Mike...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.