AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I remember when my uncle was my first family member to own a VCR, a late 70's model Sony Betamax (top loader and built like a tank), ToraX3 was the first movie he bought. As a movie it's dramatically flat, but the climactic attack scene made all the dull political and military intrigue worth it. A spectacular example of real stunts and FX from the old pre-cgi school.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tora! Tora! Tora! and Run Silent Run Deep are both great movies and don't forget Midway.

The one movie most recently associated with Pearl Harbor is the Bay movie featuring Afleck and for me that's a pass -- I can't abide Afleck...

Brian

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
For Pacific War films in general, who can forget The Bridge on the River Kwai?

I liked Midway for its action sequences, but I kind of felt the rest of the movie was a little bland.

I also liked None But the Brave.

I want to see the film Yamato, a Japanese movie about the battleship. I'd love to see a modern movie about Operation Ten-Go.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
And for comedies, Mister Roberts and Operation Petticoat were other films I've enjoyed.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieSwede
The final countdown.
great choice.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
The Bay movie has a compelling sequence representing portions of the attack; however, the love-triangle story is so aggressively horrific, the movie must be shunned.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I remember when Pearl Harbor came out, Shrek was released a week earlier. I heard that if you found a theater showing both starting at the same time, you could see Shrek, hit the john, and then go over to the theater showing Pearl Harbor and be in time for the action sequences. Never tried it, though.

·
23,032 Posts
I always watch at Tora! Tora! Tora! . Then I try to squeeze in Midway. Although somebody mention Yamato. I haven't watched that in a while, I'll put that as #2. I guess I got a head start, I watched The Great Raid last weekend and The Bridge Over the River Kwai a few weeks ago.

larry

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,397 Posts
About time for a better edition of HELL IN THE PACIFIC, don't you think?

John Boorman, Toshiro Mifune, Lee Marvin. That's a pretty intense concentration of talent. Shame about the ending.

-Bill

·
Registered
22,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys have me confused with "Yamato". I see nothing in print or available for rent. There's a 2-DVD documentary about the battleship that's not due out till summer 2011. There's a 2007 drama "Yamato" that's not available.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
The one I'm talking about is the 2005 Japanese film. It was available on Region 2 and Region 3 DVD. Might be OOP, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see it.
I'm a sucker for absurdly large fighting ships, especially the ones that were ultimately doomed.

·
23,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes
I found one in R-3/NTSC but also saw a R-0 release that's unobtanium. I think there's a PAL R-2 around too. Mostly they are only available from Hong Kong.
I have the region 3 two disc set from Universe films that I bought when it came out. There's a thread here on the disc.

larry

·
23,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/19595141

This is still confusing. The only 2-disc set I can find is a documentary-style collection.

the movie drama I find is like this.

This is the movie: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_%28film%29

Here's the one I bought when it came out: http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm

It looks like this is a version you can still buy: http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID....qx/details.htm which looks like only 1 disc and could be the one you linked at Amazon (didn't look at details).

There was also a 3 disc version - it looks like it came out first.

larry

·
Registered
2 Posts
As someone else mentioned, The film with Ben Afleck is terrible. Don't watch that

I recommend the Pacific, incredible series. It's about the events that happen straight after the attack Pearl Harbor

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.