AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember when this RP was announced years ago. It really never did take off.

It was a DLP inside a rear Projection cabinet and you could remove the projector and use it as a front projector.

We dont have anything like that today. Its a great idea.

Why did it fail.

Maybe the price was to high for its time. I think it retailed for 10k.

Back then presentation projectors had not crossed over into the HT market yet and the price drops we are starting to see due to demand were still years away so maybe the 10K retail was more than fair for its time but the DLP technology was still new and the market was very green back then.

If someone would incorporate that idea today I think it would be a hit.

If that 1080P Toshiba had a removable FP and considering it will street for under 7k it would be a huge hit. Hell Id pay 10k and throw away the cabnet for 1080P.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i think the projector alone was 7k so with the cabinet your price estimate is probably about right.

i was all ready to buy the projectavision and even talked with the ceo of the company. i demoed it and thought the pq was incredible. then, the salesman said, "for comparison, take a look at this ampro crt." TILT!!! big mistake. it was a $12,000 ampro and knocked the projectavision into the gutter. i became an instant crt convert. the rest is history.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Ah yes the Projectavision DHT-2.Strange how quickly one forgets about things.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Shawn

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Alan:

Forgive my bluntness but I think the Projectavision failed because there was and is virtually 0 demand for such a product. People don't want to continually move a projector back and forth in and out of a rear projection cabinet. I saw the product at CES when it was launched and just shook my head. I doubt they sold 100 of them.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QQQ

Your probably right but I cant get the Toshiba 1080P with hdcp via dvi and native pixel mapping for under 7k out of my head. If they can put this in a cabnet theres no reason we should not have a FP of eqiul performance and price.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I remember that product. I think it would do extremely well today, especially if it could be used with other projectors.

I never saw one in person but one of its marketing bullets was that the customer could walk out of the store with it and set it up themselves. (as opposed to scheduling delivery)

This ability would be absolutely huge for corporate sales and smaller trade shows.

If anyone knows of an old unit laying around, I'd like to take it off your hands just to see how it works/worked. :)

Ken

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.