AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a reminder that the premiere of Peter Frampton in Concert is tonight at 7:00 PM EST on HDNet. There will also be a repeat at 11:00 PM EST.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i tuned in and saw some white-haired guy sucking on a piece of plastic connected to a microphone. needless to say i changed the channel...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I too used to laugh at white haired old guys... til I became one!

It's great that HDNET is showing concerts. My only wish (other than 5.1) is that they'd get their volume up to the rest of the channels. It must be more complicated than turning a knob or else it would have been done a long time ago. My biggest concern is listening to music on HDNET at near concert levels and the channel gets changed. I'm measuring 8-11 dbs difference tonight between Frampton and music on VH-1, MTV, etc..

Terry

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
i tuned in and saw some white-haired guy sucking on a piece of plastic ....
What was that? Plastic Braces maybe? Sure looked screwy

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey, give the guy a break! He still has the best selling live album of all time. When I'm in my 70s, I hope to look as good as he does.:p

Brad

·
Registered
55 Posts
Uh.... that tube is connected to a guitar effect called a talkbox. That's how he gets the "talking" sound effect in the solo for Do You Feel Like We Do. I didn't see the broadcast and I wonder if it's the same as the DVD that was shot in HD?

·
Registered
91 Posts
How'd they get Stephen Hawking to stand up and hold the guitar? Just Kidding. Frampton beat Mannilow with a stick but I'm still holding out for that Motley Crue they keep showing in the concert series commercials.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF
Uh.... that tube is connected to a guitar effect called a talkbox.
Exactly. When activated, his amplified guitar signal is routed to a small driver in a box at the foot of the microphone stand. Connected to the box is a long plastic tube that carrys the sound and runs up the stand and stops next to the microphone. He then places the tube in his mouth. From there he can move his mouth to form mostly vowel sounds while the guitar sound is being picked up by the microphone from his mouth.

I know, I used to have one. :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottF
Uh.... that tube is connected to a guitar effect called a talkbox. That's how he gets the "talking" sound effect in the solo for Do You Feel Like We Do.

Back in the old days, that's what it was used for. But thanks to HDTV, I could clearly see Pete ingesting some type of soft-food substance - soylent green?

·
Registered
33,823 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tREN
Frampton beat Mannilow with a stick but I'm still holding out for that Motley Crue they keep showing in the concert series commercials.
We could argue about content, but certainly not from a PQ standpoint. In that arena Manilow beat Frampton with a bat. A much slicker production.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
"i tuned in and saw some white-haired guy sucking on a piece of plastic connected to a microphone. needless to say i changed the channel..."

ADebar, if you'd have been at the Peter Frampton/Humble Pie concert at San Diego's Balboa Stadium in the early 70's(or any of his early tours, for that matter), you'd sing a different tu...............ooops, you probably weren't born yet.

Fact of the matter is, even though we cringe at the site of this balding, geeky looking nerd in cuffed Levis, he instills in us a past remembrance of days and times we'll not likely forget, even if we wanted to. :D

I gave it a thumbs up for that reason alone. :)

Chris

·
Registered
716 Posts
MY 0.02 cents worth.

I actually quite enjoyed this, and as an aging hippy ex-lead guitarist myself who appreciates lead licks, I thought he really had his "moments" during the concert, he's still very fluid.

It would certainly be great to see other full length concerts, maybe of more contemporary bands, but the Frampton concert really hit the mark not least because I'd been given glimpses of it for over a year on the DirecTV demo loop.

Greg

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
i never heard of the old man before yall mentioned him. i accidentally saw him on HDNET. first impression was bad. i'm not a fan.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar
i never heard of the old man before yall mentioned him. i accidentally saw him on HDNET. first impression was bad. i'm not a fan.
Ah, OK, your age is showing. And unfortunately so is mine! :D

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
It was just on again, and I was going to record it, but it bumped up against Episode 2 of The Sopranos, so I recorded that instead. Hopefully the Frampton thing will be on again soon and I'll get it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.