AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine was recently over and showed me gotomypc.com that he was trying out and it can basically access any PC from another including Macs. It worked so well I thought about getting it but it has a monthly fee and I really don't need to access my computer remotely outside of my network.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Vnc

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
VNC is one way. The problem with it is that it doesn't allow multiple logins (although you wouldn't need that in your case).

The other way is FreeNX, which is a true remote access client.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I use TightVNC (very similar to VNC) at home, cant beat the price but it is true that the screen updates are sub-par.

At work we use Carbon Copy for the same purpose, and it works MUCH better. CC works almost as well as RDP.

You can get Carbon Copy for a one time fee of $35 or so from amazon-used ($140 new). Also PCAnywhere works real well but at $199 new it is also quite expensive, but you can also get used for $35 on amazon.com.

GOTO my PC is neat but WAY too expensive for what it does, the longer you use it the more expensive it is (boggle!).

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Another vote for logmein.com.

Most amazing thing is, it requires no client software! It will display the remote machine's desktop in a browser with Java! The remote desktop will display and update just as if you were controlling it via a long set of KVM cables.

As platform independance like this increases, our dependance on Windows will decrease, and alternatives like Mac and Linux will be feasible for most people.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
VNC from Realvnc.com is the current product put out by "the team that invented VNC" according to the website. The freeware version works great and is quite easy to set up. I've got it running on quite a few networks.

Just a note...

1) All the VNC products require either "port forwarding" or "virtual server" to be set up on the server's (computer you want to control) network. The web based remote apps like logmein and gotomypc don't require any router setup modifications.

2) If you use the VNC programs you also need to turn off or add an "exception" to the Windows firewall on the server computer otherwise VNC won't connect.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I use a combination of Radmin and Hamachi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.