AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3030 that is about 18 months old. It's doing fine, and I am considering buying a 4040 or 4080 once they're available again. (Yes, I have ethernet and broadband in my house.) Anyway, the remote on our 3030 is having problems with the Select Button - it doesn't always "take" when you press it, and it requires a good deal more pressure to make it work than it used to. In addition, the red LED light at the top stopped working months ago - it was a real mystery trying to program the new TV and DVD player in there without the Code Set indicator.

I'm assuming this is simply an over-use issue - we use our Replay constantly for our shows, the kids' shows, etc., and the select button is probably the most popularly used button, along with instant replay and skip.

Is there any way to fix the remote, or any place to buy a new one? I coudn't find anything on the replay/sonic blue page. Also, is there a code that can be used to program the Replay into another universal remote? The Replay remote is better than anything else in the house, but not when the buttons won't work!

Thanks!

trjenkins

·
Registered
640 Posts
>Is there any way to fix the remote,

This is at your own risk, but I've run into the same problem with my C-Band satellite remote.

1. Open the case carefully, and examine the contact areas under the rubber buttons.

2. Clean the contacts on the PCB with a q-tip and some alcohol. Allow to dry completly before placing the rubber back on.

3. SOmetimes, I clean the rubber buttons too.

4. There is a conducting compound under the button positions that shorts the contacts on the PCB and you get the press signal.

5. In extreme cases, you can get some sonducting paint and reapply the coating to the rubber button areas.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Cliff

·
Registered
826 Posts
Search for remote. Robman has detailed the list of substitute remotes. The two most common are Radio Shack Universal Remotes and the RCA Universal Remote. I chose the later. There are also some really fancy ones out there. Sony, Pronto, etc. . .

But find the thread, because Robman has specialized in this category.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Also, Robman has a site dedicated to these kinds of remotes, and on it he has instructions for fixing worn out buttons. See http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/manua...Replay#wornout

Rob has I've also posted step by step instructions with pictures showing exactly how to open the case without cracking it, but I don't remeber where that was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did do a search for "remote" in this forum and came up with nothing - which surprised me.

I'll try taking it apart first - especially if I can locate the secret to doing it. if that' doesn't work, the website will help!

Thanks for replying so fast!

trjenkins

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trjenkins
I did do a search for "remote" in this forum and came up with nothing - which surprised me...
That is very odd, since Robman posts on this forum all the time and there have been lots and lots of threads about remotes. I have searched 'remote' in the past and ended up with zillions of threads. The search function must not be working properly.

Anyway, Robman will probably check in and post soon.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trjenkins
Anyway, the remote on our 3030 is having problems with the Select Button - it doesn't always "take" when you press it, and it requires a good deal more pressure to make it work than it used to.
I've noticed this, too. But strangely, it also occurs on our spare remote (which is seldom used, because you don't really need two remotes for two units in the same room). Also, I highly doubt that the Select button is used anywhere near as much IR or QS, which still function perfectly.

Is the design of the Select button different from the rest of the buttons? Anyone had luck repairing their Select button?

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Before spending cash on new remotes. I strongly urge you to open your old one and clean it.

My select button was also dying / dead. Upon opening the remote I noticed a small amount of liquid on the pcb. After a cleaning the remote work flawlessly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i've had my 2020 for over 2 years now and about 6 months ago my Select button started to die also. I tried opening the remote up but i couldnt. I didnt see any place to open the damn thing. I tried prying with a screwdriver but it looked like the plastic was going to crack. I ended up poping out the select button, cleaning what i could and pop it back in. It doesnt push in like the other buttons anymore, but it works pretty good now. Every few weeks i have to pop the thing out and put it back in.

They must have used cheap parts on their remotes

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MePray4RePlay
They must have used cheap parts on their remotes
Spoken like someone who hasn't tried the 4000 remote...

My 2020's remote's select button is starting to go bad too, actually.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Doh!

I tried the routine above with no luck! I FORGOT step 2! The rubber buttons have an oily substance on them to which the new conducting compound (rear window defroster repair kit) would not stick.

I'll have to try it with the alcohol to see if that works.

Otherwise, snag one from eBay. Can't have too many of 'em lying around!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apologies for my previous prematurely sent post.

Well, after some searching around on the remote page, I found the page that describes how to take the remote apart ( http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/index.shtml ). Unfortunately, I found it mere seconds after my DH pried it apart and broke all but 2 of the latches. :mad:

Upon opening it up, we found some wet looking material in the Select button area. I took a Qtip and some alcohol to wipe it down, got it all back together (with some electrical tape around the casing now!), and the Select button works like a charm again! The LED is still not working, but we couldn't find any broken connections, so the bulb itself must have gone out. oh well. At least the remote works again.

Thanks for all the help! I love the web - almost as much as my Replay!

trjenkins

·
Registered
24 Posts
does sonicblue sell spare 20xx remotes since i broke my select button? If they do, and they're like dishnetwork and charge $50 for a remote, ill just live with it until i get 4500

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.