AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That cheap punk strikes again! I went to BestBuy today and they had a 27" Sylvania DVD/VCR on clearance for $199 (scratch & dent). I talked them down to $169 because they lost the remote.

I've got a JP-1 (Rat Shack 6 in 1) remote (I have not used the JP-1 functionality). However I want to be able to have some control with the ReplayTV remote.

I tried entering the codes found in the manual (0821 for TV/DVD combos, 0081 for TV/VCR combos) but neither is accepted by the remote (I get the long light instead of the two shorts). The remote accepts other codes just fine, but not any in the TV/VCR or TV/DVD category.

Opinions?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane
That cheap punk strikes again! I went to BestBuy today and they had a 27" Sylvania DVD/VCR on clearance for $199 (scratch & dent). I talked them down to $169 because they lost the remote.
I really can't help with the answer to your question, but I'm really hoping this is a TV/VCR/DVD combo or the like you're talking about. I really was wondering why you'd tell us the size of your DVD/VCR combo for a while there (let alone why it was so big. :) )

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, TV/VCR/DVD, thanks.

If it was a 27" DVD/VCR you may think I'm compensating for something. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran into a siniliar problem with an aiwa DVD player....what I ended up doing was going to a store that had the same model player, and asked to see the remote control....then I taught my universal learning remote the commands.....you can even use a palm pilot with OmniRemote installed to learn the right codes...

Hope that helps

And I hope the moderator doesn't get pissed...it wasn't stealing was it???

; )

Sto

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My confusion on this is why are there codes in the manual that will not work?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane

I've got a JP-1 (Rat Shack 6 in 1) remote (I have not used the JP-1 functionality). However I want to be able to have some control with the ReplayTV remote.

I tried entering the codes found in the manual (0821 for TV/DVD combos, 0081 for TV/VCR combos) but neither is accepted by the remote (I get the long light instead of the two shorts). The remote accepts other codes just fine, but not any in the TV/VCR or TV/DVD category.

Opinions?
I have this same problem... any solution found yet?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd imagine JP-1 is the only solution. I'm currently using another remote that'll do the basic functions on the TV and wil eventually get around to ordering the correct remote.

It is somewhat frustrating that Replay has codes listed in the manual that are invalid.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I must have missed this thread first time around. Bob, what I don't understand is if you have a JP1 remote, why you haven't tried a JP1 solution?

If you have found another remote that works some of the functions, you could learn from that remote into your 15-1994 and then download the memory to see what the protocol and device codes are. You could then compare them with those listed in the upgrade file we have for the SylvaniaTV-DVDCombo.txt file, which is for Sylvania TV/DVD Combos Model 6519DD and 6513DD. If they match, chances are good that you can use this upgrade with your unit. You could add this upgrade to all of your JP1 remotes, including the Replay remote.

That upgrade uses the NEC1 protocol with device codes 135 and 34, which does indeed match the DVD/0821 code (which I only see as being included in 3 remotes, and it's not in the RTV remote) and the DVD/0675 code, which is in several more remotes.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply Robman. Yep, I'm aware of the JP-1 solution. I just haven't gotten around to purchasing a cable. I've also d'loaded the updated .txt file for the unit.

For now it is working just using the two remotes. When I get to the point that I truly want the functionality, I'll probably break down and order the cable.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Why would it take some "breaking down" on your part to use JP1 to program your remotes. It can't be the cost, because a cable only costs $14 shipped. Maybe you think JP1 is difficult to do, but I've already dispelled that myth with this document: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help So, what other reasons might there be to continue juggling remotes?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A Robman, you proselytize your religion quite well. :)

The sad news is I have a degree in electronic engineering and am quite capable of making a cable. Also there are so many resources out there (as you know) that make it very easy to program any JP-1 remote.

There are how ever two truths:

1. I am incredibly busy.

2. I am incredibly lazy. I'll juggle remotes forever until I'm in the mood to do something different. If I could pickup a jp-1 cable at BestBuy I'd do it. I haven't checked if it is possible but anything beyond Paypal just wears me out.

3. I may very well be the cheapest guy on this site. 14 bucks is 14 bucks. And a perk at that. My first Replay was a refurb. My second thirty bucks at Best Buy. One I gave away was 40 bucks at Best Buy. My subwoofer made out of spare MDF and an old carsubwoofer someone gave me. Heck I didn't even build it (see #2)! My front speakers 2 bucks, my rear speakers free, receiver 20 bucks, my webtv keyboard 75 cents.... well you get the idea. That's 14 bucks for something I'll use once in a great while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.