AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried learning the On/Off codes into my learning Radio Shack 19-1994 remote but it does not recognize the codes and will not learn them. Has any one found away around this for a NEC CRT projector?

And how do you turn on your PJ's? Right now I use the Power button on the back of the PJ which I think still adds hours to the pj hour counter but it's the only button my wife can reach while standing on the second row riser.

Wes

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
A pronto easely does this.

Marc

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pronto $200. Shack $30., I'll stick with the Shack! :)

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
As they say you get what you pay for. I have a pronto and have not looked back yet.

Not to be a smart a$$ but if the 30.00 remote is not learnign what good is it?

You can also use a Home Theater Master MX-500 which is much cheeper then the pronto and does everything the pronto does. I have sold so many of them I cant even count any more and I have never really had a learning problem with one except with a Qwest digital cable box and we dont have many of them here any way.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well not to be a smart a$$ back but I simply asked for codes to a Radio Shack remote, not what remote will work for my given PJ!

I'm sure these are great remotes but I have the Radio Shack and for every thing else in my set up it works great, it just will not learn the NEC IR signal, so I felt if someone here had come up against this they could help out!

Wes

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well, there IS one BIG BIG difference between the two, the MX-500

cannot be programmed with codes, but only with a direct IR signal.

Although the mx-500 does have hard buttons which is MUCH nicer for handfeel and surfing

of ccourse, this really has no bearing on your question....

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The problem is that not all remotes CAN learn all the NEC codes. I have been down that road, I have 6 learning remotes, and now one pronto. The pronto is a godsend. And you CAN get a good used one for under $200. I paid $150 for mine. I used to think that's nuts, but now that I have it, I was a fool to wait so long.

I'm sorry this is of no help to you, Wes, but I think the problem is your current remotes limitation in learning complex codes.

Marc

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nope, Went home this morning (work graveyard) and tried it again on another Rat Shack remote and it learned it to my surprise. Then I spent some more time on my theater room RS remote and finally got it to learn. It just did not want to do it on the Power button for some reason but since it's a PJ on the TV button I will only use it to power on and off the PJ! So I programed it into my macros and now I am back in business! One button powers up and switches my PJ, receiver, amps, scaler, Video processor, and DVD player. Too Cool!

Wes

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
It is a complex code. I know that the RatShack remotes are pretty good, I have a few myself. My favorite was a remote that had an LCD display with a clock as well. It would act like an alarm and turn on my TV and change to my favorite channel in the morning, and after one hour turn it back off. Needless to say it was discontinued. But since you said it, I did sometimes have a hard time with certain codes. I had to try again and again and it would finally take it. Well, congrats.

Macros are great.

Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.