AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more posts from me as to how to setup my home theater system. I know there is lots of reading to be done (which I have) but there is also something to be said for a custom response for a custom setup, so here goes:

My first question pertains to which remote control to get.

I am setting up a home theater in the basement with a Yamaha RXZ11 receiver, Panasonic PT4000AE projector, PS3, toshiba HD-A30 HD-dvd player, nintendo wii, and HD cable box/pvr.

i know that the remote won't be able to control the Wii or the PS3 (without add-ons). That's fine.

Now since this receiver has dual HDMI outputs, one will be running to the panasonic projector in the basement, and I will be running a second HDMI cable to my Panasonic G15 plasma tv in the living room. Hence, I am thinking that I will need a remote with RF capabilities, since when watching TV in the living room, I will need to be able to control components in the basement.

Additionally, I would like to have some remote control lighting for the theater as well, so that one touch will dim the lights, and appropriately power on the DVD, receiver and projector.

As to my personal preferences, I am more of a fan of wand type remotes that have hard buttons, and can be used blindfolded and one handed.

Based on all of the above, which remote would best suit my needs? I have been leaning towards a logitech harmony 890 pro because of the RF/multi-room capability, as well as the z-wave and sequencing options. What other remotes should I be looking at? Obviously money isn't too big a concern (within reason) as can be seen from the cost of the setup.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nsp /forum/post/18151441

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot more posts from me as to how to setup my home theater system. I know there is lots of reading to be done (which I have) but there is also something to be said for a custom response for a custom setup, so here goes:

My first question pertains to which remote control to get.

I am setting up a home theater in the basement with a Yamaha RXZ11 receiver, Panasonic PT4000AE projector, PS3, toshiba HD-A30 HD-dvd player, nintendo wii, and HD cable box/pvr.

i know that the remote won't be able to control the Wii or the PS3 (without add-ons). That's fine.

Now since this receiver has dual HDMI outputs, one will be running to the panasonic projector in the basement, and I will be running a second HDMI cable to my Panasonic G15 plasma tv in the living room. Hence, I am thinking that I will need a remote with RF capabilities, since when watching TV in the living room, I will need to be able to control components in the basement.

Additionally, I would like to have some remote control lighting for the theater as well, so that one touch will dim the lights, and appropriately power on the DVD, receiver and projector.

As to my personal preferences, I am more of a fan of wand type remotes that have hard buttons, and can be used blindfolded and one handed.

Based on all of the above, which remote would best suit my needs? I have been leaning towards a logitech harmony 890 pro because of the RF/multi-room capability, as well as the z-wave and sequencing options. What other remotes should I be looking at? Obviously money isn't too big a concern (within reason) as can be seen from the cost of the setup.

Thanks in advance.

The Harmony 890 will not allow you to share the RF extender with another remote. You can't have an RF extender in the basement and have the downstairs remote and the upstairs remote control it. You would need two RF extenders (one for each Harmony RF remote), but then you get into issues of one remote not knowing that the other turned on the receiver or whatever.

A URC remote can share RF extenders. The cheapest solution would be the MRF-260, but that would also have the problem of not knowing the state of your devices due to what other remotes turned on or off. The MSC-400 would be able to keep track of device states, but costs the most. Device state management might not matter in your case if you have discrete power commands available instead of simply a power toggle. Sending a power on command to a device that is already on does nothing, which is good. Sending a power toggle command to a device will turn it off or on each time, which requires device state management to keep straight.

Also, I would try to avoid getting locked into the 890's z-wave control. Not many remotes communicate with z-wave directly and the 890 is a discontinued remote and no other Harmony remotes support z-wave. Find an IR controller for your lighting solution and you won't be tied to a particular remote. I have an IR receiver on my HTPC running Homeseer that communicates with a USB Z-wave controller. IR from the RF extender triggers Homeseer to control my lighting. I'm not suggesting you build a HTPC just for lighting, but giving an example of IR to RF lighting control.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.