AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun the process of turning my basement into a HT/gaming room and am looking to cover every detail ... especially wiring.

My projector will be ceiling mounted. All the AV components will be in some sort of cabinet about 20 feet to the left of the sitting area.

I would like to get a single remote to control everything, probably Harmony as I have had great success with them.

I've read about IR repeaters and remote control extenders. What can I use so I can point the remote at one area (preferably front) and control everything?

Also, below are the components I have selected ... any advice would be appreciated (40% video games, 40% tv/sports, 20% movies).

Panasonic PT-AE3000U Projector

Denon AVR1910

Axion Speakers (M50, QS4, VP150)

Hsu STF-1 sub

PS3, Xbox, HTPC

·
Registered
69 Posts
Harmony remotes are generally considered best in Consumer grade remotes. They are easy to setup, don't require a technician to program.

I bought a Harmony 520 a few years ago for cheap. I had to buy a IR receiver eye, and repeaters, so that the equipment in my closet can receive the commands. That's an additional cost. Plus an issue with it is that you need line of sight to the eye for the remote to work. That started to give me a headache, since switching on multiple items take several seconds, and someone would walk in between causing the commands to be lost.

Moved on to Harmony 890 refurb for a great price on amazon. It comes with IR receiver (no line of sight), and repeaters for upto 8 deveices. Works great. Definitely recommend it. Buying IR receiver, and repeaters ends up costing more, atleast did for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
If you're a fan of the Harmony's, then the just about to be released H900 is their latest RF offering. A bit expensive at MSRP $399, but it eliminates one of the most annoying 980 / 1000 / 1100 requirements, that is to re-program the base every time you make a change on the remote. This was the main thing that lead me to abandon using my 980.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1170063

As hkk mentioned, the H980's are being fire sale'd right now and are considerably less expensive. If you dont' think you'll be making many changes after your initial setup, then the base reprogramming issue probably won't be a big deal for you.

Since you're planning a dedicated room, bouncing the IR from the remote off the screen to the projector will probably work fine for you. If you wanted to be extra safe, you could run a 3.5mm extension cable from your equipment rack to the projector mount in case you wanted to feed an IR emitter from your remote receiver to the pj. The H980 uses 3.5mm plugs for the emitters. The H900 uses 2.5mm plugs, but you can easily purchase an adapter.

Also remember that the PS3 can't be controlled directly by IR. You'll have to get a 3rd party device to interface between IR and PS3's Bluetooth control. Logitech just released one specifically for the Harmony's. There are many others as well.

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews...dup/index.html

Jonathan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.