AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how I can have 2 replaytvs in the same room and not cause problems with commands sent to one doing things on the other?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the FAQ and even tried to search it but nothing popped up on my searches. Sorry, didn't mean to irritate. Now that I look again I see where it is. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The FAQ refers to a menu under 243-Zones to set either a remote lockout code or a remote machine code. The 243-Zones menu on my 5060s do not have these menu picks. Does anyone else know how to control two 5060s that are right next to each other with one remote (other than having one powered on, the other powered off)?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oneway
(other than having one powered on, the other powered off)?
Any reason why that isn't an option? Just curious cause I have used the toggle method for years with my replays and it has worked fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason that the toggle method is not desirable is the delay in units turning on and off, (it does not happen instantaniously) and that I have to share the operation of the Replays with impatient wife and children. They press the button once and maybe one power light comes on but the other doesn't go off so they press it again and things get really messed up. Then they get frustrated and just use the unit currently being displayed and let their subsquent button presses do what they may on the other Replay. If I was the only one using the things there would be no problem. Under the current curcumstances, I need something as fool proof as possible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oneway, this is not the "normal" 2-4-3+Zones menu, this one only shows up after you have run setup (menu-setup, to get to the usual setup menu). Then while on that screen press the 2-4-3+Zones sequence to see this menu.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks docmcse; I will try [Menu] -> 243 [Zones] tonight and report back. Maybe this could be added to the FAQ (unless I missed it..).

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oneway
Thanks docmcse; I will try [Menu] -> 243 [Zones] tonight and report back. Maybe this could be added to the FAQ (unless I missed it..).
The FAQ is pretty clear on it.

Code:
Code:
Press Menu on your remote 
Choose Setup. 
Press 243 + Replay Zones on your remote
The Dreamer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thankyou TheDreamer, you are correct, the FAQ does mention "Setup". As a new 5060 owner I didn't know this meant [Menu]->Setup, and I just tried 243-Zones at the startup splash screen. I got a menu that looked close to the described menu... close enough that I just assumed I had found the right menu. I had no idea there was a different mode depending on where you entered the 243-Zones. Live and Learn I suppose, and thanks again for the clarification.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by docmcse
Oneway, this is not the "normal" 2-4-3+Zones menu, this one only shows up after you have run setup (menu-setup, to get to the usual setup menu). Then while on that screen press the 2-4-3+Zones sequence to see this menu.
The above solved my problem. I was surprised that the same 243-Zones sequence could bring up completely different menus. Thanks again everyone.

·
Registered
529 Posts
By changing the code on the replay unit you have only solved half of the equation. Now you need a remote that sends that code to the replay unit. The only way I know of to do that is reprogam the remote via a jp1 connector. Back to the search engine.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jhomewood
The reason that the toggle method is not desirable is the delay in units turning on and off, (it does not happen instantaniously)...
What model do you have?

The 5000s turn on and off instantly I think. And the older models turn on instantly as well so long as you disable disk spindown (which is probably a good idea anyway).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have 2 upgraded 4504s and an ancient 3060 upgraded as well. The problem isn't instant turn on, that does happen usually, but the turn off of the unit that was on can be significantly delayed if it is doing anything other than standing by. Impatient people will assume that the unit didn't "see" the signal and try it again or they didn't get the remote aimed right and the replay actually didn't see the turn off signal. I don't have the units stacked because I don't want heat build up. The 2 in the same room are on top of the TV on opposite sides and it is possible to hit one and not the other. (I sometimes do that intentionally if someone has managed to turn them both on.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wasatch Rider
By changing the code on the replay unit you have only solved half of the equation. Now you need a remote that sends that code to the replay unit. The only way I know of to do that is reprogam the remote via a jp1 connector. Back to the search engine.
Hmm, I'm using the other option, for Remote Lockout codes (see FAQ). I used the above directions to set one unit's lockout code to 101, the other is set to 102.

Now a 102-Zones on the remote tells all Replays except 102 to ignore remote commands, leaving me to control unit 102 directly. Then a 101-Zones unlocks unit 101 and locks all others (including 102) and then I can control unit 101 separately. This works well for me, allowing one remote to control two different Replays.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
jhomewood,

It sure sounds like you need a remote that can control your Replays seperately, and the best way to make that happen is to use JP1 to program the remote. You can use JP1 to program the R5k remotes, the old RTV 2000/3000 series remotes and a whole bunch of Radio Shack and One For All universals, and what's more, it's free! (You do have to buy or make a cable though)

As easy as it is, if JP1 is too much effort for you, I can program a remote and sell it to you. I have a small selection of OFA remotes and a bunch of original RTV 2000/3000 series remotes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Robman, Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately even though I like the 3K remote, mywife (she who must be obeyed) likes the 4.5K remote which I understand does not have the JP1 interface. I guess I will look into one of the universals.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Anyone have Pronto templates for multiple unit configurations?

Rob? RemoteCentral just seems to have the standard codesets

There was one CCF file that had RC6A, now to figure out if that's what I needed.

My trick for the 3k & 5k Is to power both up, when the 3k light starts blinking, power again to turn off the 5k. If I wanted the 5k on just wait for the 3k light to go solid and power again to toggle. This doesn't work as good for two of the same units.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Rob or anyone else....

ReplayEric's comments about the system codes says it resets on a reboot, has there been any changes with the replay software to support the same system code through reboots? With the 5k constant reboots this would be a worthless feature, no?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
Rob or anyone else....

ReplayEric's comments about the system codes says it resets on a reboot, has there been any changes with the replay software to support the same system code through reboots? With the 5k constant reboots this would be a worthless feature, no?
The unit coding survives a reboot for the 5k.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.