AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kinds of remote control keyboard/mouse periphs. people are using to man their HTPCs. Also pros and cons too and images if possible.

I use an Acer 1720U infared wireless keyboard
http://theater.mikesshorts.com/image...acer_wlkbd.jpg

It has good reception, is fairly compact, and has decent mouse control. However, being a keyboard it obviously requires two hands.

I also bought an old Interact wireless mouse/keypad. Tried it once but I like the wireless keyboard more even though it's more bulky.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
IRMan and Girder handles 99% of it by button press control no mouse...

For when a dialogue box pops up by surprise I was lucky enough to do a powerbuy on Phillips Rx units and Keyboards so that the Pronto can emulate a mouse (like a laptop touchpad)... Its not perfect but it works great and brings all devices onto the one pronto remote HTPC included...

I have got a projector remote with a mouse joystick on it thats also kind of nice but it doesn't get much airtime...

I hear the Gyropoint presenter stuff is really nice but a little on the $$ side...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I use a GyroRemote to navigate my Talisman interface and to navigate the various apps I use (Winamp, MJ8, WinDVD, etc.). If you slow the cursor action down, the remote works great. The only drawbacks to it in my situation are (1) I need to use a different remote to control system volume through my preamp; and (2) I need to use a different remote to control my DirecTiVo unit.

I likely will be able to solve problem (1) by programming the keys on the remote to control my soundcard's volume, but I'm still stuck with the second problem.

I gradually developing Girder groups to control everything and may eventually migrate to a Pronto. One hangup has been getting Girder to control my M-Audio card, but I'm making some progress there. The other problem is simply the time required to program the Pronto to match up with my Girder groups, and the problems associated with getting the Pronto to navigate my Talisman interface. Perhaps Phat has this licked with the mouse emulation, but it seems cumbersome.

So, for now, I'm stuck with 3 remotes for the system.

- Ken

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well I think I stumbled onto a simple and cheap creative solution. I have the WinTV card which has a remote. Well that remote has an .ini file you can edit. So I edited the file to control and launch things like DScaler and WinDVD.

Then I have that 50 dollar Sony learning remote which I've training to operate the stuff on the PC, the projector, the receiver, and the TiVo.

Works very well. I have tried a bunch of other solutions (including Girder) and have found this simple and easy.

·
Registered
378 Posts
K-wood,

The Girder site has an exported group for the M-Audio series

http://www.girder.nl/exportgr.php

Haven't had a chance to play with it -- but maybe it would be useful.

I have the M-Audio Delta DIO -- the description seems more focused on controls for the Audiophile 24/96 -- but once I get things further along, I may check it out.

My HTPC is less than a week old, so I am still in massive learning/tweaking mode.

Ken

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have used both the Gyropoint Pro Mouse and it was awesome, a very neat little toy. I finally splurged tho and got the Logitech Trackman Live! for $100+ :-( But definitely worth it.

If anyone's interested in the Gyropoint, you can check the Classifieds here or e-mail me :p

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
With the nearly endless number of plugin's available for Girder, including bi-directional serial control, I can't imagine a situation where Girder couldn't control any and everything!

I have a Gyro mouse, and it's is certainly an indespensible tool for doing the tweaks and such. My goal is to only have to use the mouse for very rare and unusual situations however.

·
Registered
Marantz ¦ Arendal ¦ JVC
184 Posts
davezatz

can you elaborate a little on how you edited the WinTv ir .ini file.

I can see how the basic structure works but... how do you select which app you're currently controlling? (or are we to assume that it's the foremost app and the software is intelligent enough to figure that out?)

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.