AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to use my laptop to remote control my HTPC.

I would like the laptop to view the desktop but the sound should

be played using the HTPC driver as usual.

If I use vnc it seems to distribute the sound back to the controlling laptop.

If I use remote desktop it uses some kind od remote desktop sound driver even though I select "leave at remote computer".

Are there any available programs which can do this?

PCAnywhere?

Or can vnc be made to not send back the sound?

///Magnus

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I've been recently trying out PCAnywhere & I like it. Nothing for use with my HTPC, I'm just wanting to control a MP3 & Synthesizer computer in my living room with a computer in the kitchen. I don't have a monitor, keyboard, or mouse attached to the computer, just the network connection.

I just got the mp3 computer to start up into hosting mode. I can control it from the very beginning of the computer start up, even enter the network password from the kitchen computer. Pretty cool & simple. It shows the desktop and you can do anything, just like your sitting at the computer yourself.

Give it a whirl. Pretty cheap ~$14

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Try out remotelyanywhere, it's not cheap, but works well, www.remotelyanywhere.com They include a 30 or 45 day trial, can't remember which.

Jim

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnusB
If I use remote desktop it uses some kind od remote desktop sound driver even though I select "leave at remote computer".

///Magnus
I'd take another look at remote desktop in XP because that is exactly what I'm using and it works perfectly. My media server is running Remote Desktop and I attach to it with my Toshiba Portege 3110 laptop and the sound remains at the server and sounds great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use vnc with no issues. I do not understand the issues that you have stated. VNC opens a window that displays the HTPC display output and give you control of cursor and keyboard input. The HTPC behaves exactly as if you were controlling it locally. I do not believe there is any way to produce the sound from the HTPC onto the controlling computer.

The VNC i use is a free open source application developed by AT&T.

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been using XP remote desktop, and found that I had to start my mp3 application (in my case, Music Match) at the local PC (host) in order for it to output the sound locally. Might be peculiar to my hardware, but that was the workaround for me. After it was started locally, then I could control from my laptop remotely.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Quote:
If I use vnc it seems to distribute the sound back to the controlling laptop.
I have no problem doing this as well. I too use AT&T's version of VNC. The default behavior is to leave the sound at the remote machine, not the controlling machine. In fact, I'm not sure how I would be able to get the behavior you're describing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.