AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know the best place to ask this question so I'm going to start here.

What I need is basically an A/V receiver minus the /V part, and I really only need 2.1 sound.

Let me elaborate. I had an HTPC setup with a Sat. receiver feed into the HTPC using S-Video and the Line-In on the sound card. This "monitor" for this system is a Dell 4100MP (ok, so not necessarily your typical "HT" PC).

Anyway, the boss didn't like the "run a program" to watch TV idea so he asked me to run the video to a seperate source on the projector.

That's all fine and good but how am I going to get the audio to work right now?

I may be missing something fundemental here but what I "think" would be ideal is if there was a device that would let me plug two audio sources into it and then let me control via remote the "source" of the audio.

Of course I'm on some heavy medication right now so I reserve the right to deny lucid recollection of this post :)

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
The component would be called an audio pre-processor. When combined with an amplified stage, it is known as an audio "receiver". All modern receivers have the ability to switch inputs from the remote. Most all can take a veried combination f digital and analog input.

-Suntan

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I think Radio shack has one. Search their site. I've seen an A/V switcher but you have to use your own remote. Or just get a cheap mechanical switch box...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have been more specific. A full blown audio receiver is what I'm trying to avoid having to use. Space/size of the solution is a big factor.

A possibility would be to buy the Bose Companion 3 speakers because they are meant to be used as computer speakers but also have another audio input. I won't be able to control the source via remote, but it still might work.

Any other suggestions?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.