AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to build a home automation environment which will allow me to control home appliances via the internet. I've found a number of solutions that will control power sockets, dimmers, etc, but what I'd also like is an IR blaster which can control my AV hardware (e.g. to control my PVR's, DVD recorder, etc).

Does anyone know of a system which offers remote control of power switches a well as an IR blaster?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try to use iRidium (iridiummobile.net)

I use this program at home. Сontrol ModBus (Beckhoff) light, HVAC. To control for AV use GlobalCache. I like that iRidium allows you to create the same beautiful interfaces as AMX. But the price is much lower. You can put the AMX controller. But Beckhoff + GlobalCache + iRidium cheaper and functional one-same

In addition, the guys from iRidium told that - it is possible and with iPad control. I look forward to try iPad

·
Registered
163 Posts
I read the thread title and laughed a little bit picturing someone pointing a remote at another remote to control a tv.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I'm not following - any HA software that can control an IR blaster and be controlled via the 'net can do this. IE, with CQC, this would be the height of trivial to do, i'd just connect the USBUIRT/GlobalCache to it, setup whatever screen I want, then use the CQC remote viewer to call that screen. There's HTML control as well, but it requires a little more programming.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowne30M3 /forum/post/18276278

I read the thread title and laughed a little bit picturing someone pointing a remote at another remote to control a tv.

Same here. Probably the only reason I opened the thread...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have clarified that I'm a total noob here (I've just looked up CQC for example, as I hadn't come across it before).

I've seen a couple of hardware/software starter packages which offer low-priced, easy-to-install remote control of power sockets (e.g. Domia Lite/Bye Bye Standby). What I want is something at a similar price level which is easy to install but which can also control an IR blaster. I'd also prefer a solution which DOESN'T require a subscription to a third-party website (i.e. I'd like to host the web server myself).

Typical use case is that I need to remotely program my AV equipment to record something, or maybe just to power-cycle the Tivo if it appears to have crashed.

Z-Wave solutions look quite expensive (£300 for a control centre, and £700 for a universal IR blaster). The CQC site also doesn't give much information about the sort of hardware that I'd need to purchase - is this high-end stuff targeted at professional home automation installers?

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
CQC is targeted towards the higher end and the professional installer market, which is why the website is scarce on info. Here's what you'd need, i'm sure you could find cheaper options, CQC seems overkill for just this, but at least you know it's trivial to do what you seek.

Server:

- Any PC built in the last 4 years is fine, ~$500. You don't have to dedicate one to CQC, but obviously it's most stable if you don't use your office PC where you also surf the web, check email, and do other stuff on it.

- CQC, $600

IR Blaster:

- USBUIRT - $50 (assuming you only have 1 area that needs to be controlled, and you can put a pc near it. If not, you'll need something like a GlobalCache

Power control:

- do you mean full power off/on? I think a very simplistic zWave setup might be cheapest, just an entry level controller ($90ish), the RS232 or USB hookup (eh, $100ish?), and as many appliance modules as you want ($35-ish each)

that's it. You'd use either your PDA cellphone or a pc hooked up to the 'net. you could create custom GUI screens for use with the CQC remote viewer client (see the website in my sig for mine), or do programming if you want to use internet explorer.

·
Registered
197 Posts
well we may have something that will work for the IR part for now with rs232, relays, gpio, and some other stuff coming soon.

here is the original thread for Total Control Remote Edition
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1213647

so out of the box you can blast + have 4 emitters ports for your racks and devices. you can have one or more head units or just splice emitters with cat5 and run them around the home back to 1 box.

has a built in licensed IR dbase from manufacturers + learner built into unit so no need for pc.

We also have macro support coming soon which will include 1 way method of doing rs232 and there are rs232 controllable power strips on the market.

here is the preview of the windows app for macro setup + some updates in the app including macro support
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1234898

we will be adding support for the built in relays so you can control various components that way also. we will provide temp readings from the unit also so you can check the temp where the box is.

we are experimenting with direct tcp control of devices which some controllable power strips support also.

if you can control the power via IR though the app will handle it that way also if you can get the IR code.

·
Registered
89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowne30M3 /forum/post/18276278

i actually had someone ask me that.. I just had a look on my face i'm sure like"why"?

But i said "let me get this straight, you want to point your crestron remote (TPMC 3X) at a touchpanel (TPMC-4SM) to control the volume in another room...?" And he said yes... then i said "why not just control the volume for that room with the remote you are pointing at the touchpanel and not point?"

and just laughed in my head and i had a flashback of this as this was just 3 days ago...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Did the client have an old IR system? I havent installed a system like that in 15 years but a few years ago a client called me out to look at a ZON system her Security Guys installed. They were using URC MX-850's to control volume. You would have to point the MX-850 into the ZON wallmount keypad (similar design to an apad).

·
Registered
208 Posts
Still in early development, but I am working on an application ( TIRT ) to control some custom made IR Transmitter through TCP, as well as a more generic follow up application that could also support the USB-UIRT, Global Cache and such. Of course this doesn't have the polish of the other solutions mentioned so far...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts