AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I currently have an RCA 1010U touchscreen remote which I have yet to reprogram for my current setup (I got it a while back and have since change out most of the components) so now I'm stuck with lots of remotes again! Either way, the other half HATES the touch screen and refuses to use it so I'm in the market for a new remote control to replace the plethora of remotes I have on my coffee table. Basically I need to control:

Panny 50" LCD projection TV

Philips DVD/VCR combo

RCA Dolby Digital surround amp with tuner

Motorola 6412 HDTV PVR/Cable box

The biggest problem I've had is that the combo DVD/VCR has exactly 0 codes listed for even the most current universal remotes, including the kameleon which I bought and returned last week, and the moto unit has a lot of "special" buttons and no codes available as well. As my wife won't do touch screen I'm a bit limited but have been pointed towards the MX500 from Home Theater Master. This looks like a pretty decent unit but I'm wondering what other suggestions there might be. The biggest trouble I think I see is the A, B, and C buttons on the PVR remote, I'm guessing with the MX500 you set up custom keys at the top for those. I also looked at the Sony 2500 that's touch screen but I might be able to talk the wife into it because it actually HAS A, B, and C hard buttons which could be nice. I'm just looking for suggestions on what you folks think, of course I'm not looking to spend tons of money on a remote, under $200 is probably my range unless something REALLY makes sense...

Tom

· Registered
7,918 Posts
Check remotecentral.com, lots of details over there on various remotes.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, actually I've been there a bunch of times over the last week or so but I'm really looking for suggestions hopefully particular to the Moto 6412 and how they have their remotes configured...

Tom

· Registered
13,531 Posts
d2tw4all,

Check out the Harmony 676. It has hard buttons for A and B, plus C on the LCD.

· Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the Harmony but I'm still leaning towards the MX-500 at this point, even though it doesn't have ABC it has more programmable LCD buttons and is a little less "fisher price" looking to me... It's a real shame there hasn't been a big leap in controller technology... I think every high end unit should be programmable using the PC...

Tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.