Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my situation -

PC is in the office, I've got cable run through the attic to deliver component video (via ATI component adapter) and digital audio to my living room (10-15 feet away).

I have an ATI Remote Wonder, but it is sketchy at best at this range and not as intuitive as I would like it to be; plus in some situations overscan makes it impossible to see what I would like to click in my taskbar etc.

What I would LOVE to do is use a remote desktop connection from the laptop on wireless to the PC, and control what the PC outputs to the TV and receiver. I don't want video or audio streamed to the laptop... I just want to use the laptop like a big glorified remote.

Problem is, with remote desktop, when I log in remotely, all I get on the LOCAL pc display is the 'windows login screen' and nothing I do remotely gets displayed on screen. Just for kicks I tried playing some video material and it gives me nothing at all at the laptop or PC end of the deal. I'm sure there's a way around this... not sure what it is; maybe some software other than XP remote desktop.

I'm guessing this is basically the situation for Airpanel users, but again I'm not sure.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Try Tight VNC (or other VNC derivatives)....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming these VNC clients allow more detailed control over how the remote process works? It seems like the MS version is basically "ENABLE" or "DISABLE" and very few options in between.

·
Registered
227 Posts
VNC all the way.

I have port forwarding of vnc on my linksys.

Tied with zoneedit.com, I can control my PC from anywhere on the net.

easy to use and free.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am in the same boat. Currently my HTPC has a dual output video card. One output to my tv and the other to 17" LCD in my family room. But the 17" LCD has grown cumbersome and does not work for my needs.

I am thinking of getting an Airpanel but it runs Win CE that uses RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) - From my experience with RDC I can't output to my TV or control the video out put from the client. From the sounds of it, VNC is the right choice.

1. What exactly is VNC and where can I learn more about it?

2. Can VNC run on an airpanel? Would this work?

The final goal is to have Mario's DVD Lobby and Main Lobby software running and cotrolling my whole home theater. Including the output to the tv when playing video files from my HTPC.

I hope that makes sense and I would appreciate any insight.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try www.realvnc.com or www.tightvnc.com (both freeware) these are what I am experimenting with and they allow the desktop of the remote computer to be displayed in a window on the portable pc. Both appear to have a java client which may be the way to go with your airpanel in WinCE.

Mine is set up to scale the 'client' side display by 50% so if I'm running 16000x1200 desktop resolution, it appears in a 800x600 window on the laptop. So far it looks great, I haven't got it all tied up to the home theater side of things but I think it's an excellent option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.