39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built a new HTPC based on both renethx's guide and Assassin's guide:

Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 motherboard

i3-2100 processor

Antec E38D Power Supply

Windows 7 64 bit

HP Media Center IR Receiver

Harmony IR remote (set to MS Media Center codes which work great after PC is on)

Logitech N5901 bluetooth mouse/keyboard remote (also works great AFTER PC is powered up)

Neither using the power button on the Harmony, nor double clicking keys or buttons on the Lenovo device power up the HTPC.

I read somewhere that new Gigabyte MBs (like mine) have +5vSB power to all USB ports, but don't have any way to test that.

I've experimented with the BIOS settings to no avail. Current BIOS Power Management settings:

ACPI Suspend Type: S3(STR) only other option is S1(POS) which does not help.

Soft-Off by PWR-BTTN: Instant Off

PME Event Wake Up: Enabled

Power on by Ring: Enabled

Resume by Alarm: Disabled

HPET Support: Enabled

HPET Mode: 64 bit

Power on by Mouse: Double Click (only other option is Disabled)

Power On By Keyboard: Keyboard 98 (other options of Disabled and Password tried with no success)

AC Back Function: Soft-Off

ErP Support: Disabled (when set to Enabled, PME event wake up, Power on by mouse, power on by keyboard, and wake on LAN are unavailable)

I power it off by the standard Windows power off function, and power it on by the power button on the case.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? HELP!

Thanks --leftcoastjayhawk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I manually put the PC into Sleep mode, but the Harmony remote, that controls Windows Media Center just fine, will neither wake the HTPC up from sleep mode, nor does it seem to have any way to put the HTPC back to sleep with a single button push.

Anyone aware of how to get the Harmony remote to wake up the sleeping HTPC and put it back to sleep?

Thanks --leftcoastjayhawk

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin
Yeah that isn't going to power on your HTPC.

FWIW I don't ever turn mine off. When its asleep/hibernating it draws about 30 watts or less.
30 watts in S3/S4 is massive! Should be

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I'm assuming you also have a MCE remote somewhere that came with the HP IR receiver. If you do have one, then see if the power button on that will shut down/suspend your machine when it's running. If it works, then you should just be able to have your Harmony learn the power toggle command from that remote (for some reason, the power button from my MCE remote was the only thing my Harmony didn't have right in its database, so I had to manually teach the Harmony that function).

As for powering on, you need to get an IR receiver that is always getting power from the PSU, and that isn't just hanging off a USB port/header from the mobo. I'm sure there are others out there, but something like this should do the trick.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you see the light on the IR receiver when you press a button on your remote control?

If not, then your IR receiver isn't getting any power from the USB port. You would need to enable it on your motherboard. In my case it's a jumper, in yours it might be a BIOS setting.

If you're getting power but your HTPC still isn't starting up then it's time to look at device settings, and make sure boxes like "allow this device to wake up computer" are ticked.

And like the first poster said, if your HTPC is shut down then nothing will help, it needs to be in S1 or S3 to wake up. I don't think you can wake up from hibernate, but I'm nto sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pug, I do not have an MCE remote, just the receiver. I was hoping the Harmony database for the Microsoft Media Center remote would have set up the power button for however the standard MCE remote does it. I did look at Harmony's IR codes for that device, and did not see any codes for sleep mode. Maybe I'll have to buy an MCE remote and see what I can McGuiver up...

crotach, I do see a light on the IR receiver when the HTPC is powered up and the IR remote is controlling Media Center, but nothing when the HTPC is in sleep mode. The Lenovo bluetooth keyboard/mouse does wake up the HTPC from sleep mode, so bluetooth signals are getting through, but IR signals apparently are not getting through.

guess I'll have to find some Gigabyte motherboard expert who can tell if any of the USB headers have power on in sleep mode.

Thanks --jayhawk

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastjayhawk /forum/post/20843539

crotach, I do see a light on the IR receiver when the HTPC is powered up and the IR remote is controlling Media Center, but nothing when the HTPC is in sleep mode. The Lenovo bluetooth keyboard/mouse does wake up the HTPC from sleep mode, so bluetooth signals are getting through, but IR signals apparently are not getting through.

Then you're not getting the +5v standby voltage on the USB port where your IR receiver is connected. Either +5vsb is not enabled, or it's going to a different port. On some laptops for example only one port gets the +5vsb, I have no idea how it is on your motherboard.

You could also test with any other USB device that lights up when connected to power. I have tons of USB sticks that light up when connected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Also, keep in mind that +5vsb on USB usually supplies 0.5amps to the devices.

It may be too low for the IR receiver to work if you have lots of things connected to USB. Try plugging out everything esle, and check the post before

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I dunno how I am doing it but my SoundGraph LCD screen on my Thermaltake takes the IR signal from my Harmony to turn it on and off. The only time it doesn't work is when the power supply has lost power (like if I physically removed the cord or we lost power). Otherwise, I can press "Power" (...custom button on Harmony screen) and it will turn on and off with no problem. That is with a SoundGraph LCD screen though that has the IR built-in.

Edit: Fyi, the Soundgraph Screen still runs off of a USB header...maybe it's your motherboard??? I have an MSI btw.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/20853598

I dunno how I am doing it but my SoundGraph LCD screen on my Thermaltake takes the IR signal from my Harmony to turn it on and off. The only time it doesn't work is when the power supply has lost power (like if I physically removed the cord or we lost power). Otherwise, I can press "Power" (...custom button on Harmony screen) and it will turn on and off with no problem. That is with a SoundGraph LCD screen though that has the IR built-in.

Edit: Fyi, the Soundgraph Screen still runs off of a USB header...maybe it's your motherboard??? I have an MSI btw.

The Soundgraph IR receiver also has a connection to your motherboard's power on/off pins. If you trace that wire you'll see that it connects to both the PC's power button and the IR receiver board.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
OK, ironically I'm having the same problem with my system, even after tweaking and adjusting settings, and using the MCE Standby Tool. Something is taking the HTPC deeper than S3, shutting off the USB ports, and killing my USB IR receiver.

Intel Core i3-2100T

ASRock H67M-ITX

It kills the USB to the point I have to remove and reinsert the IR receiver. Any ideas what I could try next?

I have tried:

USB Selective Suspend and Fast Recover are disabled using MCE Suspend tool. Verified settings within Windows

Tried setting Deep Sx on and off in BIOS

Tried setting BIOS sleep off altogether

Power button is mapped to Sleep

Would the problem be resolved if I got a CIR for the onboard port?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/20854373

OK, ironically I'm having the same problem with my system, even after tweaking and adjusting settings, and using the MCE Standby Tool. Something is taking the HTPC deeper than S3, shutting off the USB ports, and killing my USB IR receiver.

Intel Core i3-2100T

ASRock H67M-ITX

It kills the USB to the point I have to remove and reinsert the IR receiver. Any ideas what I could try next?

I have tried:

USB Selective Suspend and Fast Recover are disabled using MCE Suspend tool. Verified settings within Windows

Tried setting Deep Sx on and off in BIOS

Tried setting BIOS sleep off altogether

Power button is mapped to Sleep

Would the problem be resolved if I got a CIR for the onboard port?

5VSB is not supported in USB EVER....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.