AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Way back in 2014, I had a Viewsonic 37" that eventually acquired the problem of where the TV didn't respond to the remote until 5 minutes after TV is on. Kind of like the TV has to "warm up" before it responds to the remote. I always thought it was "just that TV".

We then moved to Nashville in 2016, left that TV and remote behind, and got another TV, a Westinghouse, and boy I was glad I didn't have that problem anymore.

NOT

Starting about 2019, the TV + remote (neither the same as 2014) now have the exact same problem.

Why is this happening, and how can it be fixed?

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
I’ve never seen or had that happen on any device. Have you tried a second remote either OEM or universal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, on both TV's we tried different remotes.

I'm 99% sure it's a function of the TV's ability to process the commands (it's not the remote), because in both cases, after 5 minutes, the TV processes ALL the commands sent. For example, say the TV started out at 50% volume. Say down-arrow reduces it 1%. If I press down-arrow 14 times, nothing happens at first. After 5 minutes all of a sudden the volume will decrease all 14 percentages, so the volume will be at 36%.

Also, I'd like to add that the TV DOES turn on via the remote, and there is a like a 45second window where the TV DOES process remote commands. Then it stops processing the commands for 5min, then "catches up" and processes all of them at once. And, again, this is the second TV this has happened to us on - different brands, 5-6 years apart, and was not the original behavior.

·
Administrator
21,903 Posts
That sounds like the kind of voodoo that my wife has on electronics. All her bedside clocks and car clocks, no matter how many she goes through always stray to about 9 minutes off. Cash registers crash when she's checking out at stores. Mobile devices lose wifi until she gets far enough away from them. She demagnetized her Disney ID card that was on a lanyard while on vacation.

I could go on... :whistle:

·
Registered
924 Posts
Well you are buying the cheapest brands you can find so that is no doubt part of the problem

Maybe there is something messing up IR in your home? Not sure what that would be but that's all i can come up with. All these remotes work on infrared so whatever is causing this has to be related to that. None of it should need to warm up. I have no rational fixes beyond looking at things that may be messing with light in your family room.

From waht you described it could be some similar component to a cpu* that is queing commands and the processor is hanging not executing them....? That will be a very difficult fix and not worth the effort for a TV like that.

The chinese sell TV's at cost time to move up a bit in what you spend I think.

Brands like TCL and Hisense can match the most bottom barrel of brands in price with better product. The streaming integration allows them to sell the panels even cheaper because they make money back from teh streaming.

And if you don't want a smart TV just never connect it to the internet. You will get a better product than viewsonic or westinghouse who are now forced to use bottom of the barrel parts because no one is making "dumb" TV's anymore.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ironically, I was going to ask about this issue but with regard to my Samsung NU8000's remote; suppose this is as good as any place to begin the questioning...

I'm beginning to suspect we simply got a bad panel at this point, because from the very beginning of owning the NU (since 2018 or so when the model came out and was hot in the stores), we had issues that required "technicians" to come out to the house on three separate occasions under warranty (the issues we were experiencing kind of fixed themselves, oddly enough, so the techs didn't really assist much) -- these included, notably, a weird glitch that wouldn't allow HDMI input settings to keep their assigned names while providing inaccurate incoming resolution information on that input (something I have read ran rampant throughout the Samsung line for some time, even amongst the ultra-premium QLEDs).

Fast-forward to more current times, and we have been experiencing a problem wherein when I turn the panel on and attempt to move out of the input that pops up initially (which is Cable Box, HDMI 1) so I can watch discs via HDMI 2 (connected to our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player), the remote won't respond half the time, forcing me to wait until that "splash screen" pops up (where it reads "HDMI 1 - Cable Box - NO INPUT") before I can press that "home" button on the remote and call up the inputs again.

This doesn't occur all the time, but most of the time, and it's utterly annoying. I thought maybe the original battery that came with the remote was used up, so I switched it out -- but the thing still behaves this way.

Someone on AVForums.com who also owns an NU8000 and has experience with modern panels told me that it may have something to do with the infrared sensor and something maybe blocking the line-to-sight signal of the remote, if I understood him correctly...or something, perhaps, having to do with Bluetooth interference? This didn't make much sense to me, but...

Anyone with Samsung displays run into this issue with their remote? It's like I can't switch inputs on the bottom of the screen where the icons are, unless I wait until the splash screen pops up and start over again after that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts