AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...got a Harmony 880, great remote. Projection screen infront of the room (duh). Projector reacts off of IR signal bouncing off the projection screen fine. Equipment rack is at the back of the room facing sideways behind listening area. Rack is NOT enclosed, nor behind glass. I do NOT want to use the stick on IR blasters. I'm looking for a very simple remote extender. The remote receiver/repeater unit will be in the front of the room. I prefer to have it wireless to send to the rear of the room (only 13 or 14 feet away). The receiver/transmitter unit will then aim at the equipment rack to control the unit. Not interested in spending a ton of money, but want it to work. So far I've found these:

Radio Shack 15-1950 $40

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...t&tab=features

X10 Powermid PM5900

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-27ndC1b...er&i=009PM5900

Any recommendations???

·
Read the FAQ!
36,654 Posts
I know people who've used the one you showed from Crutchfield with success.

Be aware however that if any neighbor is too near and using a similar device that you may end up picking up their radio-repeated remote transmissions for devices you have in common, such as a cable TV box.

--Bob

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I have some very old pyramids, from RS. #15-1959

Hate them, very narrow receive angle.

And, output bounce (or double output)

·
Registered
936 Posts
I have the Radio Shack ones and they don't work too well. The IR sensor picks up any light in the room and raises the IR noise floor so IR commands get ignored. I'm looking at getting a more reliable system such as the one from Channelmaster.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I'm using the Radio Shack remote extenders as well as the Terk Leapfrog brand. I can reliably control components in the basement from the 2nd floor with both of these products.....I'm not using the stick-on IR emitters with either one.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
My problems with the RS pyramid are all IR not RF.

The two units are within feet of each other.

The IR receiver has tunnel vision.

One input command, often outputs twice.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

I have one of those as well. I liked it very much until it stopped working (after ~6 months). Replacing the rechargeable battery with a fully charged one didn't help, nor did replacing the regular battery with a fresh one. This sudden malfunction just started happening a couple of days ago (I haven't changed anything in my set-up) so I'm still not sure what's happening......before the problem occured I was very happy with this product.

Anyway, I've contacted the manufacturer and they're going to send me some new rechargeable batteries......I hope that solves the problem.

MikeSRC, can you shed any light on what might be happening here? Also, as I said, the manufacturer is sending me new batteries but I was curious as to where they can be purchased....just the batteries without the transmitter. I've searched the internet and can't find anything that looks like an exact replacement. Do you happen to know where these might be available? Thanks.

·
Registered
375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Wars Guy /forum/post/0

Just bought the Terk Leap Frogs. They work great.

Are you controlling one device or multiple devices? One of the reviews on CC's website talked about an IR flooder included to control multiple devices. Can you confirm?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcavner /forum/post/0

Are you controlling one device or multiple devices? One of the reviews on CC's website talked about an IR flooder included to control multiple devices. Can you confirm?

The receiving unit is an "IR flooder", i.e., if it's placed in front of multiple components, it can send signals to those components. An IR emitter that plugs into the receiving unit is included, making it possible to control a single component when it's not possible to place the receiving unit in front of the component you're trying to control.

·
Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin /forum/post/0

The receiving unit is an "IR flooder", i.e., if it's placed in front of multiple components, it can send signals to those components. An IR emitter that plugs into the receiving unit is included, making it possible to control a single component when it's not possible to place the receiving unit in front of the component you're trying to control.

Vin is right, I've got the flooder in front of my receiver and DVD player. It's a tight squeeze since they're in a cabinet and the DVD player is sitting on top of the receiver. I had to turn the flooder a little since the IR on the components are not in the same spot. I've got the flooder at about a 45 degree angle from the corner of the cabinet (right in front of the door) and it works just fine for both.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin /forum/post/0

MikeSRC, can you shed any light on what might be happening here? Also, as I said, the manufacturer is sending me new batteries but I was curious as to where they can be purchased....just the batteries without the transmitter. I've searched the internet and can't find anything that looks like an exact replacement. Do you happen to know where these might be available? Thanks.

It may be the transmitter, but I haven't had any problems with them in the past and we've carried them longer than anyone. The battery is a 2/3 AAA battery. I believe they're the same as the ones here .

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSRC /forum/post/0

It may be the transmitter, but I haven't had any problems with them in the past and we've carried them longer than anyone. The battery is a 2/3 AAA battery. I believe they're the same as the ones here .

Thanks Mike, you're probably right, I received new batteries from the manufacturer on Monday, charged them up and tried it out before leaving for work this morning.....no joy. I contacted them again and they told me to send the entire kit back to them and they'll send me a replacement.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm using the Radio Shack version pictured. It works great for every piece of equipment except one. I have a Sony DVD Recorder and it doesn't accept commands from the extender very well at all. I've tried 3 different remotes and none will activate it unless I'm within a few feet of the IR receiver.

Can I piggy-back a question onto this? Does anyone have a solution for this one piece of equipment that doesn't respond to the repeater or is it just an problem with the repeater that can't be fixed?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Be aware that if everything is in the same room and open, you will probably get into a feedback loop situation where some of the devices pick up the primary signal from the 880 and then pick up the secondary signal from the IR repeater. That is why they make RF with the individual IR blasters to prevent that type of loop.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.