AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15,459 Posts
Something like THIS is your best option IMO. Running an HTPC is an exercise in frustration on a universal remote. A universal remote is fine for basic playback control, but it's hard to navigate and hard to type using nothing but a number pad and arrow keys.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20892800

Something like THIS is your best option IMO. Running an HTPC is an exercise in frustration on a universal remote. A universal remote is fine for basic playback control, but it's hard to navigate and hard to type using nothing but a number pad and arrow keys.

My 2 cents.

In the search field in WMC you can click OK and it pops up an on-screen aid for SMS entry. If you are doing a lot of typing on a HTPC then you don't have your front-end set up correctly. My HTPC keyboard is a dust collector. If I have to do any heavy lifting I'll just remotely connect using my laptop.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20892800

THIS

use the same wireless frequencies that say a cordless house phone uses? In other words if I'm reading this right it isn't IR, so I don't need to worry about having line of sight access.

What is the range of "this" device and does the signal go through walls pretty easily?

I'm impressed with its size, the fact that it has a keyboard, and its low price.

Great find!!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnik /forum/post/20891628

What are my best options for a Windows Media Center HTPC?

is'nt a wireless mouse suffient for viewing videos? or are you renaming files requiring a keypad like are you using this HTPC as a regular PC?

or are you just wanting to power the HTPC on and off w/ a remote?

just curious what a remote for a HTPC is used for.

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20896714

is'nt a wireless mouse suffient for viewing videos? or are you renaming files requiring a keypad like are you using this HTPC as a regular PC?

or are you just wanting to power the HTPC on and off w/ a remote?

just curious what a remote for a HTPC is used for.

Thanks

STB

A remote is used to navigate Windows Media Center. WAF is much higher using a remote than having to pull out a mouse and/or keyboard, especially when the remote is universal and turns on the TV and AVR set to the correct input with the keys mapped for easy WMC navigation.

·
Registered
15,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakosnik /forum/post/20895875

Does use the same wireless frequencies that say a cordless house phone uses? In other words if I'm reading this right it isn't IR, so I don't need to worry about having line of sight access.

What is the range of "this" device and does the signal go through walls pretty easily?

I'm impressed with its size, the fact that it has a keyboard, and its low price.

Great find!!!

Correct, it's RF like a phone, requiring no line of sight like IR. Mine works through walls a couple of rooms away, but I've seen reports of less range, so YMMV depending on lots of other factors (interference, physical layout, construction materials, etc.).

I use my universal remote and the HTPC IR dongle as well for basic playback and simple navigation, but for heavy duty searching and web surfing, I pull out this keyboard/mouse combo and use my kid's hyper-speed texting skills

·
Registered
1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/20896877

A remote is used to navigate Windows Media Center. WAF is much higher using a remote than having to pull out a mouse and/or keyboard, especially when the remote is universal and turns on the TV and AVR set to the correct input with the keys mapped for easy WMC navigation.

Hello Bryan ? what is WAF?

I have been messing around a little w/ WMC and XBMC (XBMC not working liked I'd hopped ).

yes I intend on using the Harmory 700 to power on and off the PC, AVR, sub then just use a mouse.

what do you mean by navigate I'm assumming highlighting and clicking?

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20900994

Hello Bryan ? what is WAF?

I have been messing around a little w/ WMC and XBMC (XBMC not working liked I'd hopped ).

yes I intend on using the Harmory 700 to power on and off the PC, AVR, sub then just use a mouse.

what do you mean by navigate I'm assumming highlighting and clicking?

Thanks

STB

Wife Acceptance (or approval) Factor.

Basically it's an unscientific measure of how likely your wife will be to approve your purchase of electronic toys such as home theater gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.