AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would appreciate some advice on picking a remote control solution for HTPC. I have looked through the posts but still do not have the answer to the following:

Do you believe the universal / generic remote control solutions like IRMan support WinDVD DVD player functions as well as the InterVideo WinDVD remote / WinCinema manager?

Is there a tradeoff here of the extent or reliability of DVD playback control here (other than the obvious tradeoff of cheaper/smaller WinDVD remote vs. the broader 3rd party support on IRMan)? I mean, what's involved in general in making an IRMan work? Does it need to rely in emulated mouse moves etc. to accomplish functions that might be more directly implemented on the WinDVD remote?

My "temporary HTPC" (a Fujitsu LifeBook P2048) came with WinXP and WinDVD 3.0, and I would like to be able to use it as an HTPC until I get my DIGN case and all the other stuff.

Thanks!

Alec

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey,

I'm not familiar with the intervideo remotes but..

IRMAN controlled by Girder and used in conjuction with a IR emiting device (you need to pick a IR remote to use since IRMAN doesn't come with one) will control WinDVD effectively, accurately, and without the need to emulate mouse fuctions at all.

It's certainly some work to configure Girder though.

-B

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've had some success with the WinDVD remote. It's small and cheap and requires no software configuration whatsoever (unlike Girder). Very easy/simple to use.

The only prob I have is raising (or is it lowering?) the volume on my receiver sends the DVD into fast forward (or is it reverse?)... so I've had to position things in a certain way to avoid that type of interference.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Also consider that going with the WinDVD remote will only over give you WinDVD control... Going IRMan and Girder gives you complete control...

Girder has a learning curve but its not like its a killer... The pre made GXR's generally install and work fine too...

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a very, very obvious (and useful) consideration, Phreddy.

The reasons for the WinDVD remote is compactness of both the remote and the IR receiver, and utter simplicity - significant factors in the context of a target application (the HTPC being a Fujitsu P-2046 subnotebook, which by the way does not have a serial port - only USB, supported by the WinDVD remote).

There's not much doubt at this point the IRMan would be the better choice for a stationery HTPC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.