AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to stream hdtv cable content to my htpc from a remote location (another residential address) but can't quite decide which is the best approach - dvr is not a requirement for my needs. as such i'm hoping that those with experience in this area can help with some questions:

1. after considerable digging, i'm leaning towards the hava platinum as opposed to slingbox or other external hardware options. i'm thinking hava-> ethernet-> router-> internet-> router -> ethernet -> htpc.

2. will connecting with ethernet offer better video quality than going with a wireless solution? for example wireless hava -> wireless router -> internet -> wireless router -> htpc.

3. i read that for best results a "gigabit/switch router" should be used on both ends - this is greek to me. i purchased the following routers for the job, do they fit the bill?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833127342

4. what sort of video quality can i expect from a hava-like setup on the receiving end? my cable internet speed is about 5-10m on both ends.

5. are there software remote viewing alternatives out there that work without an external box, perhaps something along the lines of windows remote desktop?

6. my cable box is a dct5100 with ethernet out - can this be used in any way for network tv viewing?

thanks very much in advance...

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btw i'm leaning towards the hava platinum because, even tho an older model, it seems that it will do the job i want despite not having all of the bells and whistles of the newer or wireless hava (monsoon) models. of course if the over-the-internet video quality output of the older hava platinum is far less than that of the newer models i would reconsider.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirlKiller
just a little heads up, hava platinum hd does not output in HD. accepts 1080i/720p (not sure about 1080p) and outputs at a poorly downscaled 480i resolution
hey sk, thanks for your prompt reply, just the sort of thing i needed to know... have you come across any remote viewing device/solution that outputs a decent image across the internet? i'm not expecting 1080i, but perhaps something close to 480p? technology moves so fast that it's difficult to research and get feedback on this type of stuff - rave reviews from 2007 could equate to thumbs down in 2011... what about a remote desktop approach? stream hdtv on a video card inserted into a remote pc and view it from a local htpc using remote desktop or the like... i guess tv audio would be at least one problem with this sort of approach.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sk, do you happen to know if there is such a thing as a software video processor that can improve the quality of poor video streams (such as the 480i have you mentioned) on the fly, before the video is output to the tv?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Raw HD TV stream takes up about 20 Mb of bandwidth. So, if you are going to be streaming raw HD TV you will need an internet connection that can sustainably upload at that speed. You should be looking at getting Fiber to the house, like FIOS, or upgrade your cable service to include 30-50 Mb service.

Once you look at the costs, you may realize that it may not be worth it.

However, if you can compress the live TV feed on the fly with some powerfull computer into a smaller package, like DIVX/XVID, or Flash, then you can probably do this.

However, if you are doing this with decrypted cable via a CableCard, depending on the restrictions placed by the broadcaster, you may not be able to compress, or view on another machine.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20765692

Remember, your serving end must also UPLOAD at this speed.

doh, didn't even think about that - my upload speed on both ends is pretty weak, never above 1m, with a download speed of 5-10m as i mentioned. so given these speeds, is it even worth trying any sort of remote viewing? it appears the video quality on the receiving end, output to a 42" hdtv, would be pretty underwhelming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueiedgod /forum/post/0

Raw HD TV stream takes up about 20 Mb of bandwidth. So, if you are going to be streaming raw HD TV you will need an internet connection that can sustainably upload at that speed. You should be looking at getting Fiber to the house, like FIOS, or upgrade your cable service to include 30-50 Mb service...

again, didn't even think about upload speeds... so do any of these remote viewing devices (hava, monsoon, slingbox, etc.) offer anything that approaches quality video when viewed remotely, via an average internet connection, output to a large screen? seems that without a very strong up/down speed these devices are really only good for local lans?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I would suspect not. Things like the Slingbox for remote viewing were designed for mobile devices such as phones. You don't need high uploads for a decent picture on a screen that is less than five inches in size.

I haven't used either of what you asking about. The closest I have, is using Plex for Windows and an Android client, but that's just media playback, no live tv.

I have read good things about Slingbox, and have a buddy who uses it around the house, but I think he just uses WiFi around the house and back yard.

The biggest issue is not so much your download speeds, but the upload speeds and how stable those speeds are. The rest could be worked around in some form of another.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you're just looking to stream recorded content, remote potato would be an excellent choice. It's just software that you install onto your HTPC.

I did a test of watching my recorded content at a friend's house at highest quality and I was very impressed. Then again, the two of us both have the 25/25 internet plan from FiOS.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnguyen826 /forum/post/20770415

If you're just looking to stream recorded content, remote potato would be an excellent choice. It's just software that you install onto your HTPC.

I did a test of watching my recorded content at a friend's house at highest quality and I was very impressed. Then again, the two of us both have the 25/25 internet plan from FiOS.

was looking to stream live tv from a remote location that has a robust cable and sat subscription in place, rather than paying for the same subscriptions locally. streaming recorded content from the remote location isn't something i'm interested in doing. but it looks like all approaches are moot in my case given my poor upload speeds... funny, i've been under the impression that my u/d speeds were pretty decent compared to others with mid-range high-speed internet subscriptions. that was until i followed a link to a forum where members posted their speeds, both in the u.s. and abroad. good grief! my connection is a joke at $49.95/mo - but i live in the sticks and have no options other than my local mom/pop cable service. u-serve, fios, etc., is not available in my area...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.